1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Sandhill Preservation

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by blueoval1, Jan 2, 2009.

1. blueoval1

blueoval1 Songster

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Does Sandhill Preservation have good, quality birds I want to order their Standard Frizzles, Mottled Javas, Blue, Black, and White Orpingtons and maybe a few other breeds. And if you have ordered birds from them I would love to see pics. Thanks.

2. Some of them, yes--others, no. I've seen some PQ Faverolles from them...try to do a search on this website for them & you'll see some results. Keep in mind they do not sell sexed chicks, either. I have Blue/Black/Splash Orps... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I agree! Most of the stock I got from them are PQ chicks and alot of them were judged by 4H judges as fair quality.

I think you would be better off getting some from a breeder than hatchery if you want the best example of the breed itself. If just for looks, lay eggs the hatchery would suit you just fine.

For Black, Blue and White Orps, there are a few BYCers that has them and they were better quality than the Sandhill chicks of today.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    For their prices, you are better off getting them from a hatchery. You will get around the same quality birds, for less $$

If you really want good quality, find a breeder.

I have ordered from them before and they have healthy stock and all, just not as nice as you would expect. They are also not very easy to order from as far as dates/availability.

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I ordered from Ideal Hatcheries and I got 3 cross-beaked chickens but thats just my experience. All my cross-beaks are still in good health, I just hope they stay that way.

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I am thinking of ordering from them as they are the only place I have seen Orlaffs available at. I was joking with my family we could order a long-crower also. LOL I've heard they are a great rare breeds hatchery.

7. lichick28

lichick28 Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I ordered from sandhill preservation several years ago. five were died in the mailing box and six silkies died the next day (delivered in April) Had a hard time getting any response to get any money back. Never had a bird die from Mcmurray or Ideal

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:April is still pretty cold in these here sandhills! [​IMG]

9. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
  10. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I just got their new catalog today [​IMG]

I am looking at some of their seeds too.
    Christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: