Sanitizing eggs before incubation?

Oct 16, 2020
Hey guys, I’m confused about how much to wash eggs before putting them in the incubator. With my own eggs, I give them a quick rinse with maybe a little soap before putting in the incubator, and that has worked fine.

injust got my first hatching eggs, and they were pretty clean. The couple that had a bit of dirt, I rinsed or picked thr dirt off, but should I wash them? One incubator I have says to sanitize eggs before putting them in the incurator. Other incubators warn not to wash too much.

who is right?

Hey guys, I’m confused about how much to wash eggs before putting them in the incubator. With my own eggs, I give them a quick rinse with maybe a little soap before putting in the incubator, and that has worked fine.

injust got my first hatching eggs, and they were pretty clean. The couple that had a bit of dirt, I rinsed or picked thr dirt off, but should I wash them? One incubator I have says to sanitize eggs before putting them in the incurator. Other incubators warn not to wash too much.

who is right?
Now i am confused. I have never heard of this snitizing of eggs before incubating. Is this actually a real thing? I have never known of a hen trying to clean a dirty egg before she incubated it, so i just assumed???

Now i am confused. I have never heard of this snitizing of eggs before incubating. Is this actually a real thing? I have never known of a hen trying to clean a dirty egg before she incubated it, so i just assumed???
The very first video I watched on youtube about "how to increase your hatch rate" mentioned sanitizing your eggs with listerine and water. He did this twice as he collected eggs and then he float tested them and sanitized again before setting them.

I didn't know it was a thing either. I was just looking for guidance before setting my first eggs. I didn't sanitize mine though. I couldn't find other videos that did and decided not to. I'm in the middle of my first hatch right now. I think 14 of 23 have hatched and they're not done.

The internet is full of a lot of confusing messages.

I did an experiment on this where I sanitized some eggs with rubbing alcohol and water and left some alone. One of each ended up hatching, and the sanitized egg hatched a smaller pullet who didn’t lay under very late (10 months) and the regular egg hatched a robustly healthy pullet who laid good-quality eggs at around 9ish months.

Back
Top Bottom