Sapphire gem mix

Cluckingtime

Songster
May 23, 2022
Central Maine
I have a sapphire gem hen and had been bred with a light brahma roo.. that being said, as far as I see non of her babies (which all look like her) are males so far. No barring at all.. I sold all but 2.. one i kept from my first hatching is going to be 12 weeks Saturday and is def a pullet. The other I still have is actually only a week old so I have no idea as of yet however no barring on the wing feathers coming in. Does this mix prevent the typical barring of sapphire gem Cockrell? I know they don't breed true however ALL her offspring has looked just like her. Wouldn't they look different to some degree? The 12 week old just has a small amount of white leakage on her chest.

Does this mix prevent the typical barring of sapphire gem Cockrell? I know they don't breed true however ALL her offspring has looked just like her. Wouldn't they look different to some degree? The 12 week old just has a small amount of white leakage on her chest.
Yes. Sapphire gem hens aren’t barred, so can’t produce barred offspring unless bred to a different barred chicken. Her offspring all look a lot like her because solid blue/solid black is a very dominant color. Some of the offspring will develop silver leakage on their neck or chest.

Back
Top Bottom