Sapphire Gems and Wyandottes together?

Chickandroo

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
Main question:
For those who have had Wyandottes: What are your experiences with them and are they bullies with other breeds?

Hi everyone. We have a small flock of seven chickens- Cinnamon Queens and Barred Rocks.
We want to do a separate additional flock and we're thinking of getting Sapphire gems and some Wyandottes. We haven't had either before but know that Sapphire gems are related to Barred Rocks. Would the Wyandottes get along well with the Gems or are they aggressive as a breed? As it is our Cinnamon Queens are usually a little aggressive with our Barred Rocks.
The reason for the different breeds is that I've always wanted Sapphire gems, want more than one type of chicken and would like a breed that would would be broody if we decide to get a rooster and have chicks.

Last edited:
They should be fine. It’s more about the individual than the breed. I have a mixed flock with some Wyandottes and there is one who is more assertive and near top of pecking order and her mother—another Wyandotte— is near the bottom.

The most important thing is that you have enough room for them and if you happen to get an individual who is a terror, just get rid of that individual. But those breeds aren’t known for being overly aggressive.

Hi everyone. We have a small flock of seven chickens- Cinnamon Queens and Barred Rocks.
We want to do a separate additional flock and we're thinking of getting Sapphire gems and some Wyandottes. We haven't had either before but know that Sapphire gems are related to Barred Rocks. Would the Wyandottes get along well with the Gems or are they aggressive as a breed? As it is our Cinnamon Queens are usually a little aggressive with our Barred Rocks.
The reason for the different breeds is that I've always wanted Sapphire gems, want more than one type of chicken and would like a breed that would would be broody if we decide to get a rooster and have chicks.
Any breed can be with any other breed especially when started as chicks together. That said you've listed some breeds names that are not heritage, they have been created by a specific hatchery. So just look at the hatchery description of that "breed," and whenever you see a heritage breed in the mix that is know to have a tendency to be aggressive (doesnt mean they for sure will be,) then that explains what you've seen and you can be prepared for more of the same. What I'm getting to is that a "Cinnamon Queen" is just 2 colors of Rhode Island Red mixed. So it's going to have the same personality as a heritage RIR, slightly aggressive in my experience. "Sapphire gem," think personality more like Barred Rock. I guess I could have just said yes, Wyandottes and Barred Rocks get alone fine, but I've had to learn what all of these new "breed" names really mean as they pop up.....

Not all breeds do well together. They may start out that way as chicks but it changes during the pecking order. Yes the Cinnamon Queens are a mix of the Rhode Island Reds and the Rhode Island whites. And yes Sapphire gems are a mix of Barred Rock chicken with other types. That's why I was asking if Wyandottes do well with barred rocks. I've done quite a bit of research on the breeds and I realize that there will be personality differences with each chick. The breed descriptions don't necessarily tell you the generalized breed temperament with others.
The next flock will not have c Cinnamon Queens or Rhode Island Reds so that's not part of the question-that was to show i wish to avoid that situation. They do okay overall.
I'm asking for those who have had Wyandottes: What are your experiences with them and are they bullies with other breeds?

Not all breeds do well together. They may start out that way as chicks but it changes during the pecking order. Yes the Cinnamon Queens are a mix of the Rhode Island Reds and the Rhode Island whites. And yes Sapphire gems are a mix of Barred Rock chicken with other types. That's why I was asking if Wyandottes do well with barred rocks. I've done quite a bit of research on the breeds and I realize that there will be personality differences with each chick. The breed descriptions don't necessarily tell you the generalized breed temperament with others.
The next flock will not have c Cinnamon Queens or Rhode Island Reds so that's not part of the question-that was to show i wish to avoid that situation. They do okay overall.
I'm asking for those who have had Wyandottes: What are your experiences with them and are they bullies with other breeds?
I’ve had multiple Wyandottes with Orpingtons, Dominiques, and a Sussex or two. My Wyandottes were not bullies. We have one now that is top of pecking order and she’s not even really mean. Just in charge

Back
Top Bottom