Sardines?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by booker81, Jul 23, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    After I brief conversation with a friend, thought I'd ask - any sardine fans??

I LOVE them. Super crazy nutritions (lots of vitamins and calcium), easy, and storable.

I'm having some right now on crackers with some stoneground mustard and Jarlsberg cheese [​IMG]

(Friend is all ewwwwwwwwww [​IMG] I'm used to it!)

2. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I don't know if I like them anymore or not. Been a very long time since I ate any.

When I was a kid, my mom would serve them a lot for meals, and for some reason, usually when we would have chili soup.

Then later in the mid 1970's I was on Weight Watchers; back in the day of fish, fish, fish, fish, fish, fish. You had to eat fish at least seven times a week. Back then the stores did not have fish like today. All you had was canned tuna, canned salmon, and sardines. When you have one of those every day, 7 days a week for a couple years, you really get to hate them. [​IMG] And often times, a person would end up having tuna or sardines twice a day.

It has been a long time now, and I don't know if I am over the taste of haivng it all the time or not. Afraid to try it and find out. [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If I want fish, I'll go to the pond & catch it & eat it. I don't eat the minners though.[​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I like the ones canned with chilis best! [​IMG]

5. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I'm allergic to some fish, anchovies, trout and salmon, IDK if sardines would be a good idea to try. I like tuna but salmon sort of grossed me out as a sandwich as it's too fishy and with bones/scales yuck!

6. elijahboy

elijahboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    yyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm sardines and grits!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I love the taste and on crackers is the only way I have tried them....but I am really picky and too much work to do that often. I pick the scale and bones out as much as possible. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    Love Them !!!!!!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Love them! Sardine and onion sandwich on rye bread- Bye, time for an early lunch.

10. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Love them, Sardines on Stoned Wheat Thins , the best ever

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by