sausage and jeky

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by d1, Dec 5, 2012.

1. d1

d1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    I am always looking for new ideas....... give up the sausage and jerky recipes please

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I'm just posting so that I can get updates on this post. I just sent for a dehydrator off of EBay so that I can start making jerky...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    over the years i have made A LOt of jerky..and dont..follow a recipie per say...just soya sauce (probably about 2 cups...and a couple cups of brown sugar...stir it up...add a bit of heat if you like..just stir in sliced meat..and stick in the fridge overnight...i like to stir it around a couple times...so is all well coated... and dehydrate...loooovvve jerky....my hubby wont eat it...thats ok...alll the more for me..
    not sure which dehydrator you are getting...over the years i have killed a couple dehydrators...from making jerky and trying to clean and the element getting wet so be carefull..my son...likes to make it in a small batch and use a marinator...

4. TallChickMagnet

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    [​IMG]

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I have made my own Jerky recipe using 2 cup soy sauce, 1 tbls granulated garlic powder, 1 tbls granulated onion powder, 1 tbls worchestershire sauce, a touch of Tabasco, and 2 tbls brown sugar (or to taste). Put into a resealable storage bag and mix well. Partially freeze your meat and slice it into thin strips (we bought a really nice slicer from Cabelas, so this is easy for us). Put into the bag with the marinade, seal it and work the sauce into all the meat. Shake everything into the bottom of the bag, fold the top over, and put it in the fridge for 1-2 days. Every once in a while, maybe three or four times a day at minimum, take out the bag, massage the meat/marinade around and put back into the fridge.

Pour the meat into a strainer and drain off all the marinade. Sometimes I will give it a quick spritz of water just to rinse off the excess goo. Lay it out on the dehyrator trays, turn on the dehydrator and let the machine do the work. Depending on the humidity at your place, dehydrate from 8 to 12 hours. Take the meat off when almost to the point you want it - as it cools down it will show its true colors - it is more dehydrated than you think while it is still hot.

I use an American Harvester dehydrator. Have had it for 15 years and still works great. It is the one with the round trays (you can stack up to 12 trays they say) with the heater and fan on the bottom. Adjustable temp is important.

We are going to be getting a smoker, can't wait. Once we have the smoker, I will move on to sausage making. There are some sausage spices available from Penzey's that I want to try. Brautwurst, Italian Sausage, Polish Sausage, Russian Sage Sausage, and Venison Sausage.

We use their Italian Sausage spice mix for pizza sausage - I grind up trimmed pork loin roast and mix in the seasoning while I am frying it loose in the pan. Only problem is it is so lean that I have to spray the bottom of the pan to keep it from sticking. But the lack of grease keeps the homemade pizza from getting too juicy and ruining the crunch of the crust.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    For jerky, I start with top quality beef, preferably home raised. Slice thin along the grain so that the jerky ends up with long fibers in it. I like to use round or rump because it is the lowest fat content.

I prefer a light sprinkle of Lawrey's Season Salt, and a light twist of fresh ground fine black pepper. Light on the spices because as the meat shrinks, it concentrates the spices. Then dry it. I store jerky in the freezer, except it never lasts long enough to have storage issues.

If I want to do a batch of teriyaki flavor, I just use the same teriyaki sauce that I make to cook with: Soy sauce, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, sesame seeds, minced onion, a drop of rooster sauce, and a touch of brown sugar. Simmer them together until the flavors are well blended. My son likes black pepper, so occasionally, i will do a batch with a large crack of pepper. Don't get too crazy with the flavorings. it's meat and it is nice to have it taste like meat.

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This is our favorite recipe, of course we use it for all our meats not just beef. We have a smoke house but I much prefer to make my jerky in the dehydrator, the results are much more consistent.

Beef Jerky

3 pounds of thinly sliced, very lean beef
    3 cups soy sauce
    1-cup brown sugar
    1 bottle liquid smoke
    Course ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients except black pepper together and marinate thinly sliced meat for at least 1 hour.

Place on dehydrator trays, sprinkle with black pepper and dry.

8. TallChickMagnet

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Is this a dumb question: Do I cook the meat first? [​IMG]

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    No. jerky is dried raw meat. Sausage is made with raw meat too and then cooked just before eating it (if it was sausage you are asking about)

10. TallChickMagnet

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Thanks, it was the jerky I was asking about, it just seems cooked to me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by