Savagery!!!!

MamaLynn23

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
What would possess a turkey hen to EAT an egg she just layed? I have been finding shells that looks like maybe she had been clumsy and poked them with her claw as she got out of her nest. That is what I assumed was happening. That is until I spotted her from across the yard carrying something with the tip of her beak. I ran over and sure enough it was her fresh egg! I was shocked. But then I thought to myself I shouldn't have since all the evidence upon consideration pointed to that. I am very disappointed. I have no idea what to do about it. Is it something she will grow out of, like a phase?

What would possess a turkey hen to EAT an egg she just layed? I have been finding shells that looks like maybe she had been clumsy and poked them with her claw as she got out of her nest. That is what I assumed was happening. That is until I spotted her from across the yard carrying something with the tip of her beak. I ran over and sure enough it was her fresh egg! I was shocked. But then I thought to myself I shouldn't have since all the evidence upon consideration pointed to that. I am very disappointed. I have no idea what to do about it. Is it something she will grow out of, like a phase?
In my experience, egg eaters just keep right on eating eggs.

Id say invite her to dinner :)

This has some good stories and ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/turkeys-eating-their-own-eggs.1106978/
Have you tried giving her more calcium?

Last edited:
She could have broken it and is trying to dispose of it somewhere else to try to keep her nest clean and deter predators. She might be eating only the eggs she breaks to clean things up and get the nutrition back, but if she’s laying eggs then immediately turning around and eating them…that’s not good.

She could have broken it and is trying to dispose of it somewhere else to try to keep her nest clean and deter predators. She might be eating only the eggs she breaks to clean things up and get the nutrition back, but if she’s laying eggs then immediately turning around and eating them…that’s not good.
I hadn't thought about that...

Eggs are delicious. New layers sometimes peck at an egg to see what it is, they accidentally break it, and discover nutritious yolky goodness inside. From now on, they eat every egg they find.

I hadn't thought about that...
I’m surprised no one else told you this! I’ve only had turkeys for a year. Both my hens carry broken eggs off somewhere and leave them or eat them. They don’t want rotting egg in their nest either. If an egg rots and explodes, they will eat what they can and carry off soiled hay/feathers/bedding to try to clean up the nest. Pearl disposed of broken or dud eggs and still hatched a few poults. If your hen is a first time momma, I’d give her some leeway to learn. Sadie broke almost all her eggs because she is very clumsy with her feet. But in her case, I don’t think she was breaking them on purpose…just bad at hatching eggs. She’s started a new nest now. She was attacked her 2nd night sitting on the eggs in a field next to my house. We lost 10 of the 13 eggs, and she is bruised with missing feathers. So, we moved her into a coop. Now she has 8 eggs and hasn’t broken a single one yet.

I’m surprised no one else told you this! I’ve only had turkeys for a year. Both my hens carry broken eggs off somewhere and leave them or eat them. They don’t want rotting egg in their nest either. If an egg rots and explodes, they will eat what they can and carry off soiled hay/feathers/bedding to try to clean up the nest. Pearl disposed of broken or dud eggs and still hatched a few poults. If your hen is a first time momma, I’d give her some leeway to learn. Sadie broke almost all her eggs because she is very clumsy with her feet. But in her case, I don’t think she was breaking them on purpose…just bad at hatching eggs. She’s started a new nest now. She was attacked her 2nd night sitting on the eggs in a field next to my house. We lost 10 of the 13 eggs, and she is bruised with missing feathers. So, we moved her into a coop. Now she has 8 eggs and hasn’t broken a single one yet.
Sounds like she was very lucky. Wouldn't it be great if all 8 eggs hatch successfully.? 😁

Back
Top Bottom