1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Save a chic..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Southrnmealworm, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Southrnmealworm

Southrnmealworm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2016
    Clanton Al
    Is there anyway to save a chick if the egg has been broken the day of hatch but the chic didnt break?.And hasnt sucked up the yolk sack..

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The only thing you can really do at this point is leave the chick alone in what is left of the egg and see if it comes through. Occasionally, birds will absorb the yolk sac on their own outside of the shell, but they are at a higher risk of infection from contaminated yollk sac.

3. Southrnmealworm

Aug 7, 2016
    Clanton Al
    Ive noticed we dont have good luck at all when this happens to them..Thanks for your responce the baby didnt make it is why I asked..

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I've had some make it. I stuff them back in the bottom half of the shell, wrap them loosely in a damp washcloth and set them back in the incubator. Without an incubator it would be harder but you could probably keep them in a warm box (heating pad) and make sure to keep the cloth damp. For future reference...

5. Southrnmealworm

Aug 7, 2016
    Clanton Al
    Ok thanks ill try that if it ever happens again..

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Your welcome. The main concerns are to keep them still so they don't break or contaminate it, keep it from drying out, and make sure they don't get chilled.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by