save me from this duck!!

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
My cuddly male peking has started biting my toes everytime I walk and it HURTS!! He use to just walk between my legs and trip me but now he runs in front and bites. This morning I needed to catch a chicken and I had to lock him in his coop because he kept chasing me tripping me and biting me and now my toes are sore >
sad.png

Idk if its aggression or if I'm his mate and he's trying to control me or its all for attention. But it needs to stop.

If I sit on the ground he will come sit in my lap- well sit NEXT to my lap he's to big to fit. He waits at the backdoor for me to pet him and follows me everywhere. He ignores my husband and anyone else that comes over.

I started pushing him off with a loud NO. Then I tried swatting him away with a NO. And this morninn I was grabbing his head/neck off my toe then pushing him forcefully back with a NO. If I stand in one place he won't do it but the moment I start to walk he's right there.

Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior?? Please and thank you!!

I had a male Pekin do the same thing but it was my calves that he would nip at and I had little bruises all over. But he didn't sit by me or want to cuddle. Not sure what it was but it hurt
smack.gif
Hopefully on e of our duck experts will chime in and tell you what you maybe need to do. Good luck
smile.png

I found out the hard way that pushing them and grabbing their bills only escalates the behavior. You need him to see you as top drake. If it were me, the next time he does it I would "mount" him. Put one hand on the back of the neck and one hand on the back. Flatten him out the way drakes do to ducks when mating. Hold him there until he stops struggling. It should take care of it pretty quickly. I did it with my boys when the started grabbing me and twisting my skin. I did it to each one twice. They are very respectful now. They will still nibble on me a little, touch me with their bills, and eat from my hands but they are very gentle.

My male Pekin doesn't do that to me at all, but he does it to both of my dogs. Then they all start playing, so I think it might be an attention thing. My female Pekin does that to my husband when she wants food, or to be petted. The only thing my male does is get in-between me and my dogs. It all started after my lab "attacked my female" ( she just cornered her no biting or growling) ever since then my male goes after my dogs and plays with them, instead of letting them get near my female. I know they are playing cause he waits at the back door and taps on the glass for them to come out. Lol

Someone suggested that I pick up my drake and cradle him upside down and hold his bill until he quit struggling. He just lays there and looks at me like "what the heck happened".....but he quits attacking me. If I can get ahold of him it works. I will have to try the "mounting" suggestion from above too as I now have all three drakes behaving the same way. They try to bite my husband to, but not as aggressively. He just holds his hand there and they give up. (He must have tougher hands than me!) I found that swatting their bills and saying no, just makes them much more aggressive. I reach in their drake house to feed them in the morning and all three attack my arm. Unfortunately, because of the logistics of the drake house, hard to get ahold of them to correct the behavior.

I though nibbling at my toes was cute at first....then it went from a gentle nibble to something a lot stronger and more persistent....good thing they don't have sharp teeth!

They used to be so sweet and my favorite ducks!

Quote:
Ok thank you for that info!! I'm going to try that in a bit- next time I go outside!! Yeah the pushing/swatting/grabbing didn't really affect him at all- which is why I posted on here.

Those of you with the shoe comments HA. HA
tongue.png
. J/k. Shoes did cross my mind but what a pain! I live by the beach- we literally wear sandals to fancy restaurants. The only shoes I to wear are when my job doesn't allow open toe and in that instance they are nice expensive shoes you wouldn't tromp around the backyard in. Plus shoes aren't really fitting very comfortably right now since I'm pregnant. AND my argument is that his behavior is unacceptable and needs to change shoes would only mask the problem until I wore sandals again.

You are absolutely right! His behavior needs to change, not your shoes. It's a respect thing. I don't allow my chicken hens to pick at me. If they get too excited, they get a peck back. I'm the top rooster and the top drake here! All flock/pack animals need to know their place.

Back
Top Bottom