Saved a duck, thought y'all might wanna know

Status
Not open for further replies.
😅 I would erase this thread If I could it was supposed to be a cute thread but it's gotten too political
This isn't politics. This is talking about a federal law that has been around longer than we have been alive. You don't get to pick and choose what laws you want to follow, and taking wild animals, no matter the reason or how cute you think they are, is seldom a good idea. That duckling's mother could have easily come back. Your friend made a "warm fuzzy feel good" decision that was stupid.

Wild mallards are federally protected. Unless you have the right permits in the USA you are committing a felony. As mean and heartless as sounds. Your best bet is to call you local game and fish to turn the animal over. You might mean well but its still a felony. They can and will do DNA tests if there is any questions.

I'm probably stupid but what's the difference between domestic mallards and wild mallards the people that had the domestic lines had to domesticate the wild ducks sometime😑
Mainly size. Tame mallards are bigger. They can interbreed but DNA testing can prove if it's 100% wild, tame, or a mix. You don't want to get caught with a proven 100% wild mallard as a pet. Also wild birds are bad about carrying parasites and diseases that can wipe out tame flocks. That's not even touching the above said legal issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom