Saved a duck, thought y'all might wanna know

Status
Not open for further replies.
So @neo71665 is it hard to get certified? What if peanut could get certified, could peanut release the duck or keep it? Is there a compromise somewhere? The duckling is very lucky to be with such a wonderful (and veggitarian) rescuer, could it stay with peanut under certain conditions?

So @neo71665 is it hard to get certified? What if peanut could get certified, could peanut release the duck or keep it? Is there a compromise somewhere? The duckling is very lucky to be with such a wonderful (and veggitarian) rescuer, could it stay with peanut under certain conditions?
No clue what it takes in their state. I'm in arkansas. I had a lil help as I had a buddy that was a game warden at the time (I was 16, 41 now). Huge help as I own 90 acres so I had the land. I had to take a week long class but that was many moons ago. Had to prove I knew how to take care of the animals, had the time (HUGE factor), and willing to meet all their needs. That includes their natural dietary since you want to point out vegetarian. Wild ducks (mallards) have no issues eating minnows. That said I'm only approved to keep animals local to my state. Federally protected animals (like mallards) have a whole bunch of red tape to break and flaming hurdles to jump. I still have to get check out every now and then. I'm also not a large scale operation, I only take an animal or two a year. Right now I'm not taking any because the 2 coons I took in were bottle raised by somebody else to the point I will have to watch them die. The girl meant well but she didn't do it right so they will be captive till they are gone. They are imprinted, crap she had the leash trained but they got big enough they were tearing up her house while she was gone. I'm talking about tearing out sheetrock walls. They are sweethearts put pets now. Fully mature coons don't act like this.

(tiny babes, the in my rabbit hutch, with the heater)
boqLYoz.jpg

(still babies while I was feeding them)
PREeACKm.jpg

(about a year ago)
DJCORnvm.jpg

cv9rmYsm.jpg

I've raised deer, skunks, squirrels, possums, and all kinds of other mammals over the years. I'm not federally licensed so most birds are off limits to me. Now with CWD in the state I refuse deer, they can test fine this week and be dead next. I don't want the crap on my property with my livestock, it happens by natural cause I hate it as it's not down in my part yet but I don't want them bringing it.

Last edited:
I'm probably stupid but what's the difference between domestic mallards and wild mallards the people that had the domestic lines had to domesticate the wild ducks sometime😑
Mainly size. Tame mallards are bigger. They can interbreed but DNA testing can prove if it's 100% wild, tame, or a mix. You don't want to get caught with a proven 100% wild mallard as a pet. Also wild birds are bad about carrying parasites and diseases that can wipe out tame flocks. That's not even touching the above said legal issues.

No clue what it takes in their state. I'm in arkansas. I had a lil help as I had a buddy that was a game warden at the time (I was 16, 41 now). Huge help as I own 90 acres so I had the land. I had to take a week long class but that was many moons ago. Had to prove I knew how to take care of the animals, had the time (HUGE factor), and willing to meet all their needs. That includes their natural dietary since you want to point out vegetarian. Wild ducks (mallards) have no issues eating minnows. That said I'm only approved to keep animals local to my state. Federally protected animals (like mallards) have a whole bunch of red tape to break and flaming hurdles to jump. I still have to get check out every now and then. I'm also not a large scale operation, I only take an animal or two a year. Right now I'm not taking any because the 2 coons I took in were bottle raised by somebody else to the point I will have to watch them die. The girl meant well but she didn't do it right so they will be captive till they are gone. They are imprinted, crap she had the leash trained but they got big enough they were tearing up her house while she was gone. I'm talking about tearing out sheetrock walls. They are sweethearts put pets now. Fully mature coons don't act like this.

(tiny babes, the in my rabbit hutch, with the heater)
boqLYoz.jpg

(still babies while I was feeding them)
PREeACKm.jpg

(about a year ago)
DJCORnvm.jpg

cv9rmYsm.jpg
Yeah I figured it would be more difficult with a federally acknowledged "endangered animal" but maybe peanut will be able to work it out with local authorities.
Cute coons, sad that they can't live a normal life in the wild where they can tear stuff up to their hearts content ☹️. But at least they have someone like you who will care for them.
My friend's mom is a wildlife rescuer, they constantly have wild things in their house. So far the list has included deer, coyotes, random and loud waterfowl, skunks, and their grandkids. I would like to do the same thing eventually.

Mainly size. Tame mallards are bigger. They can interbreed but DNA testing can prove if it's 100% wild, tame, or a mix. You don't want to get caught with a proven 100% wild mallard as a pet.
Aren't some people even required to cut off a toe? Mallards are the last breed of ducks that I would raise! Not enough eggs or meat😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom