Saved by a dog house....red tailed hawk attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DDRanch, Jul 24, 2008.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California

Thank you to the good advice of folks on this wonderful BYC site !!! Last February, after the loss of one of my pullets to a red tailed hawk, I was advised to place small structures around the coop and pen area so when my girls were out free ranging they would have some cover in case of a hawk attack if they couldn't get to the coop quickly. Thank you BYC'ers.

I strategically placed 2 redwood dog houses and my broody hen house outside the coop and pen area immediately.

Well, this afternoon I witnessed, from my kitchen window, 2 red tails diving at my hens, the hens squawked and scattered and ran into the dog houses which were closer shelter than the coop. Everyone was safe although quite a scare. The girls are all in for the afternoon now.

Whew......hope they leave.

Anne

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm so glad they survived!

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    me too. I remembered that it was Silkiechicken who advised me to provide cover for the girls. Thank you Silkie.

Anne

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats a good idea, I need to do some of that.

Hawks always come for my hens [​IMG]

But they run into the woods, but thats not always stopping the hawks.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hooray for dog houses!!
    I too , have lots of things around my yard for cover from hawks!

6. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Mine used tomato plants to hide from a low-circling raptor this afternoon. When I say "hide" I mean they just stayed where they were already lying down. Usually when faced with a raptor flying over they run in aimless circles out in the open. I have to keep a close eye on them when they free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by