Saving Chickens, But What Kind? (Picts)

jorgey

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Utah
So, a week ago my son comes home from school saying that a friend has a few chicks and he has to get rid of them. Apparently he got them a couple of weeks previously and now his mother had enough and told him that he had to get rid of them or she was going to kill them.

They said that they were supposed to be buff orpingtons. (Thats what the person at the feed supply store told them.) I thought great, I want to get some of them anyway, ok we'll take them. We go to pick them up and as soon as I saw them I thought, Buff Orpington NOT!!! Hello, they are getting white feathers not buff!

We said that we would take them, so we took them in the hopes that maybe there were a white orpington. I don't think so though. They are probably about a month old now and are their feathers are coming in big time. All they do is eat, poop and sleep.

I think that they may be a cornish X rock and that I only prolonged their lives for another month, what do you think?

PICT4879_1r.jpg

PICT4881_1r.jpg

PICT4878_r.jpg

Silkie -
That was HILARIOUS!

jorgey -
I posted a pic of a chicken that looks just like that one. Folks on this message board all agreed that it is a meat bird. Mine is growing fast and fat compared to the layers that I have.

What a crummy feedstore to say they were BO's, and whyever did the mother agree to get chicks in the first place???

What a chunky chick in that first pic!
ep.gif
gig.gif
I've never seen a meat bird personally (well, except for pics) but I wouldn't hesitate to guess that's what they are.

i know your pain!! i took my kidos in to pick out some chicks, told the guy we wanted pet/egg layers. he lets us walk out with two cornish rocks yippeeeee!!! they look just like yours! thank god my dd is used to the idea of her dad killing and eating (big hunter!) and i ordered 4 new chicks to replace the two so shes happy! sorry about your luck,i know it stinks!!

I can understand why the woman wanted them gone, they poop out about twice as much as they eat and smell to match......

I get about 30 broilers each year and they are the most disgusting chickens I ever kept, if they would of been my first chickens I ever kept I would be so against keeping chickens ever again.

I know the enclosure I kept broilers in 3 yrs ago still smells like'em when wet...... also no grass has grown in there ever since either, been desperately trying to grow gass in there this year.....

Last edited:
Quote:
You know, I think that it simply someone in the feedstore either not caring or simply just wanting to get rid of some of their last chicks. I agree, the kids mother never should have let them get them in the first place. My guess is that she was thinking that the kid would not be able to keep them alive for very long and it would be over, but after a couple of weeks of it she had had enough.

Quote:
I certainly am not attached. Worry a little bit about the kids though. I think that it will probably go well with them too as in a couple of weeks I have an order of 26 new chicks coming to keep them occupied. ...and then these birds may have to be "given away".
wink.png
Ooh, Look I have move chicken in the freezer than I thought!
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom