Saving eggs to put under broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer22, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Farmer22

Farmer22 New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    Hi, i'm new to hatching my own eggs under a hen. I have purchased eggs before, but was wondering how am I supposed to save up enough eggs to put under a hen? How do I keep them fertile until then? Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Put them in an egg carton in a cool place out of the sun. Turn them 3 or so times a day until you've got the amount of eggs you want your hen to hatch.

Easy peasy, good luck!

3. Farmer22

Farmer22 New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    So about how long can you keep them like this? How is hatch rate? Thanks!

4. Farmer22

Farmer22 New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    I am still very confused about how to do this properly. Has anyone had experience doing this before? Thanks for the help!

5. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I gather eggs 2 or 3 times daily. If it is not too cold once a day is sufficient. I store these eggs in an egg carton, pointy end down. I set eggs in an incubator every 7 days. If you are using a hen as soon as you have the desired number of eggs place them under the hen. I do not like to hold eggs more than 7 days but you could hold them 14 days and still get a decent hatch. If I were using a hen I would move her away from the other birds so they do not bother her or try to lay in her nest. Moving a setting hen in the dark seems to work better.

1 person likes this.
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    ^ :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by