Saving eggs

osbmail

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
I have 7 guineas guessing 4 are females the rest are males . They have just started laying last couple weeks got incubator full .How do I save eggs to get ready for the next batch I was putting 2 or 3 in day but don't want bunch of different hatch days.So I would like to put them all in at once. Can I just leave the eggs in a egg carton in the house ?

Hello, good question you ask about how to keep your eggs waiting for incubator.
Your eggs need to be turned, the hen will turn the eggs everyday when she lays each day. She also adds a bit of moisture from her body. The best way to keep eggs waiting for bator is in a place similar. I always have an extra turner and just add them everyday along with mark date and pen they came from. Dont let them get to old. The newer the egg the better the hatch results.

Yeah what I was wondering kind of hard to fill 48 spot when you only have 4 hens.

Yeah what I was wondering kind of hard to fill 48 spot when you only have 4 hens.

The recommendation is to save eggs for 7 to 10 days. Personally I collect and store my eggs for 14 days. The recommendation is also to store the eggs in a cool humid area in an egg carton with the pointy end down and the carton rested at approximately a 45° angle and change which end of the carton is the high side an odd number of times daily. The reason for the odd number of times is so that the same side of the egg is not in the same position every night.

There have been studies done that conclude that if chicken eggs are stored pointy end up that there is no need for turning the eggs during storage. The eggs that I just placed in my incubator were stored pointy side up because if that method works, it will save me from trying to remember whether or not I turned the eggs. I can't remember whether or not I take my pills, how am I supposed to remember if I turned the eggs?

R2elk,how did hatch go with point end up in storage?

Further research on my part indicates that storing eggs pointy side up is for longer periods of storage than I normally use. However the hatch rate was only slightly less than I was getting for eggs stored pointy end down and turned when I could remember to turn them. It appears to be a valid method of storing eggs.

Back
Top Bottom