1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

saw green liquid while cleaning out the innards

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by monkeemakr, Aug 24, 2011.

1. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Hi,

My son cleaned his first chicken yesterday, and he said there was green liquid coming from the liver. I am afraid he may have punctured the gall bladder. He said he rinsed it off right away and rinsed it really well. Is it safe to eat?

Thanks,

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Safe to eat. Only potential issue is a bitter flavor if not rinsed off well.

3. monkeemakr

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Thank you Silkie!!!

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep! We accidentally break a gallbladder every once in a while and just make certain that it is rinsed off as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

5. monkeemakr

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Thanks,
    He was getting worried because he had already eaten some before he told me. [​IMG]

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    yes, definitely safe to eat, but not tasty.

when cleaning any animal and bile has been encountered, get it out of the carcass ASAP. also, once the liver (and gallbladder/bile) is out, rinse the carcass. clean hands off, and also make sure your knife (or whatever other instrument soiled) is clean of bile.

no biggy. just like was said, gives a bad taste. bile is a gastric juice that your body is constantly producing and dumping into your own stomach. nothing deadly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by