1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Saxony drake stomping in the mud?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cmart009, Jun 15, 2011.

1. cmart009

cmart009 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Hey guys, long time no post in my regard.

Question regarding my Saxony drake, Jax: Is puddle stomping normal in ducks? Yesterday after I dumped their pool water out, they all proceeded to dabble around as normal. However, I noticed that Jax would dabble, then stand up, and then start stomping his feet in the water where he was dabbling at! While this was extremely funny to watch, it made me wonder why he did this. I never noticed it before.

So, my question is that: Is this stomping normal? None of my other ducks seem to do this. The only reasons I can think that he did this were these:

1. To make more mud to dabble in, or to churn the ground around.
    2. To bring bugs and worms to the surface to eat.
    3. Joy?

Heh. Good 'ol Jax. A laugh a minute with him.

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    yep its normal my 8 weeks old diveing in my mud and stommp in it lol!!!!!!!!!!

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Mud stomping! A personal favorite of mine. I love when they do that. Mine also do it in their water bowls.
    I'd say it's because they like the feel of mud between their toes, but there is no "between" their toes! [​IMG]

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Yeah it's normal. I think it is so funny when they do that. But I haven't had a duck do it in a long time.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by