Saying Goodbye To Mandy [long and graphic]

Yes it is, I opened the gate this morning so my flock could forage up the hill, well there really isn't much cover right now and the hawk has been coming by daily. after going to the window [it's pouring rain] and watching I finally called everyone back in an closed the gate. The ducks just sit up there waiting to be picked off [thats the way it looks anyway] and I couldn't stand the thoughts of that hawk getting it's chance. They'll just have to wait to a day when the weather co operates and I can go with them. So looking forward to spring.

Yes it is, I opened the gate this morning so my flock could forage up the hill, well there really isn't much cover right now and the hawk has been coming by daily. after going to the window [it's pouring rain] and watching I finally called everyone back in an closed the gate. The ducks just sit up there waiting to be picked off [thats the way it looks anyway] and I couldn't stand the thoughts of that hawk getting it's chance. They'll just have to wait to a day when the weather co operates and I can go with them. So looking forward to spring.
they need to stay up for about a week or so. once the hawk sees there is no meal there it should leave, as even being outside with them will not stop the hawk from taking one for a meal and will just keep coming back for more

We have been aware of the hawks in our neighborhood, and watch. Nonetheless, I would still step inside the duck shelter in the morning, with the ducks in a fenced in area adjacent to the door, but with no netting over them. No close calls, and every few minutes I would come out and scan around and listen.

Well, this morning - it may not have even been a real close call, we cannot know - I was inside doing duck room service for a few minutes, and my beloved dashed out the door and called for me. He had been indoors and saw what he believed was a sharp-shinned hawk gliding toward the back yard. I got that sick feeling, but am grateful we still have everybody. The ducks seemed unaware of trouble. Often they point out potential problems to me, but we all missed it this time.

I hustled them up to the Day Pen, where they have fencing top, bottom and sides.

It snowed last night, and we have four inches of snow on the ground. I feel that raptors may have to be more bold to find something to eat in these conditions. It is midwinter, and they may be preparing for this year's breeding. All reasons that I need to be much much more cautious. Just like with a tractor pto shaft, you get away with being a little lax maybe a hundred times and then the hundred and first comes along.

Haunted, so sorry to read of your loss. I have been reluctant to read about it, as I have not felt strong enough to bear the news in detail. But you are in my prayers. And thanks.

We have been aware of the hawks in our neighborhood, and watch. Nonetheless, I would still step inside the duck shelter in the morning, with the ducks in a fenced in area adjacent to the door, but with no netting over them. No close calls, and every few minutes I would come out and scan around and listen.

Well, this morning - it may not have even been a real close call, we cannot know - I was inside doing duck room service for a few minutes, and my beloved dashed out the door and called for me. He had been indoors and saw what he believed was a sharp-shinned hawk gliding toward the back yard. I got that sick feeling, but am grateful we still have everybody. The ducks seemed unaware of trouble. Often they point out potential problems to me, but we all missed it this time.

I hustled them up to the Day Pen, where they have fencing top, bottom and sides.

It snowed last night, and we have four inches of snow on the ground. I feel that raptors may have to be more bold to find something to eat in these conditions. It is midwinter, and they may be preparing for this year's breeding. All reasons that I need to be much much more cautious. Just like with a tractor pto shaft, you get away with being a little lax maybe a hundred times and then the hundred and first comes along.

Haunted, so sorry to read of your loss. I have been reluctant to read about it, as I have not felt strong enough to bear the news in detail. But you are in my prayers. And thanks.

Thank-you both. The worst of the pain and horror is fading a bit but it'll never really leave. I look at the drakes a lot differently now as I should have been doing in the beginning.

I would like to say something here about my own experiences with hawks and raptors of all kinds. I have had hawks here for a lot longer than I have had chickens or any other breed of bird. Hawks have territorial hunting grounds they are hatched in and return to year after year. Occasionaly you will have a lone hawk come into the area but it usually starts a turf war with the ones already here. I have not observed locking up the birds [chickens, ducks, geese, etc.] to be a deterrent to a hawk, eagle, owl, falcon, ect. to stay in a particular area. They hunt all kinds of things, not just our birds. Locking your birds up isn't going to get rid of them. You may not see them but they're still there hunting something else. You let your birds out....then you'll see them come in closer to evaluate the situation. If you're not vigilante, you can and will lose birds. I have lost some of my birds to stupidity and ignorance but not to a predator because I 'listened' to something Amiga wrote a while back. She said she never gave her's time out without her, unless they were in a secure pen with top covering. She also said when they are ranging, she is there with a 'big stick' and ever vigilante. I took a page from her book and so far have had a couple of close calls, this last Fall, but was able to drive the raptor off. My point here is don't kid yourself by thinking if you don't see them, the hawks are not there. They are and always will be. It's their home too.

Okay...off my soapbox now, lol.

Haunted you are absolutely right. I NEVER NEVER let them free range without me being outside with them, visibly watching them. In fact, this afternoon one was swooping around with ME right next to the ducks. It never made a pass, but it lingered. I thought at first, "Bring it on hawk. I will MESS YOU UP" with my .410 but then reality hit....lol. I am able to allow them plenty of free time wandering with me by their side, but I know not everyone has that luxury or wants to.

Haunted I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Haunted you are absolutely right. I NEVER NEVER let them free range without me being outside with them, visibly watching them. In fact, this afternoon one was swooping around with ME right next to the ducks. It never made a pass, but it lingered. I thought at first, "Bring it on hawk. I will MESS YOU UP" with my .410 but then reality hit....lol. I am able to allow them plenty of free time wandering with me by their side, but I know not everyone has that luxury or wants to.

Haunted I hope you are feeling a bit better today.
Nebraskagirl, thanks. I am getting better as I hope you are as well.

I am trying to be very proactive with all the things that can and will go wrong. Right now most of the hawks here, have moved on to their winter hunting grounds. Sorry Miss Lydia! But give it a few weeks and they'll be back. I too would like to take my .410 out and use it but there are other things you can do without getting into trouble. The laws allow you to do a whole lot of things to drive off raptors that are under the Migratory Bird Protection Act. Noise is your friend, sudden loud noises, like a shrill metal whistle, or a firecracker. Even a paper bag blown up and popped will drive them off for a while. I'm wondering if a dog whistle would work...they use sounds at high frequencies to communicate so it might. I've sprayed them with a garden hose, yelled, threatened with a lawn rake [good thing I don't have neighbors huh?]. The hose worked pretty good! Boy that Red Tail did not like being wet, but seriously, what are the chances you'll always have one handy? The other thing I use is my stick. Not to hit but to point at it. They aren't stupid and they know humans with 'sticks' [guns] can hurt them. If you point a stick, a walking stick, at them they will veer off and circle the area from futher away. I don't think they subscribe to any of the hunting mags so they have difficulty telling a walking stick from a gun. If you stay there and continue to let them know you see them, they eventually move on where it's less threatening. This is my experience, would it work for someone else? Probably. In all cases? I don't know, I think it's an area thing. There are some up here who will shoot at these birds. Not me, but because of the others who have, I am able to use their learned fear.

Nebraskagirl, thanks. I am getting better as I hope you are as well.

I am trying to be very proactive with all the things that can and will go wrong. Right now most of the hawks here, have moved on to their winter hunting grounds. Sorry Miss Lydia! But give it a few weeks and they'll be back. I too would like to take my .410 out and use it but there are other things you can do without getting into trouble. The laws allow you to do a whole lot of things to drive off raptors that are under the Migratory Bird Protection Act. Noise is your friend, sudden loud noises, like a shrill metal whistle, or a firecracker. Even a paper bag blown up and popped will drive them off for a while. I'm wondering if a dog whistle would work...they use sounds at high frequencies to communicate so it might. I've sprayed them with a garden hose, yelled, threatened with a lawn rake [good thing I don't have neighbors huh?]. The hose worked pretty good! Boy that Red Tail did not like being wet, but seriously, what are the chances you'll always have one handy? The other thing I use is my stick. Not to hit but to point at it. They aren't stupid and they know humans with 'sticks' [guns] can hurt them. If you point a stick, a walking stick, at them they will veer off and circle the area from futher away. I don't think they subscribe to any of the hunting mags so they have difficulty telling a walking stick from a gun. If you stay there and continue to let them know you see them, they eventually move on where it's less threatening. This is my experience, would it work for someone else? Probably. In all cases? I don't know, I think it's an area thing. There are some up here who will shoot at these birds. Not me, but because of the others who have, I am able to use their learned fear.
What cha saying H your hawks are wintering down here in NC? I thought I saw one with your name stamped on it.

What cha saying H your hawks are wintering down here in NC? I thought I saw one with your name stamped on it.
Well I didn't want to say anything Miss L, but I did see a group of them looking at a travel brochure last Fall and I did see the words North Carolina.....

Thanks for the tip about the stick. We have "bird bombs" we use, but hawks are now my sworn enemy. Stinkin' things. I think you give sound advice though. I wish I could have seen you spraying that hawk with a garden hose or yelling with a rake....lol.

Back
Top Bottom