Saying goodbyes

bluerose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 21, 2007
San Diego, CA
My RIR hen Red disappeared yesterday out of the run. No feathers, no signs of any fighting. No places for her to sneak out. I searched the yard- no Red. Nothing this morning or this afternoon.

Pecky, Diva and Amber are sort of waddling around lost without their leader.

Even though she wasted the most food and scratch and kicked shavings into the waterer every morning... and was the loud obnoxious one of the group... and was always the one to find the gaps in the fence... I miss her. She was always the first to come at top speed when they were free-ranging and even though she was always standoffish she was the boldest, prettiest thing.

Farewell Miss Red, Queen of the coop. You'll be missed.

IMG_0830.jpg

They say to enjoy your loved ones every day, because you never know if you'll see them again... 'they' are right.

Ahhhh, that's a sad story..... are you positive she won't be coming back? Because there are no feathers about, it seems that she may have escaped by herself. Perhaps she's enjoying the spring weather and her mini-vacation.
Or do you have any two legged predators in your area?
hmm.png

Carla

We do have hawks... and the run is still uncovered.

The hawks almost always fly right over without pausing, the hens eye them and once they see they aren't coming down they go back to work... but it would be just like Red to fight instead of hide.

The yard is fenced 6' (run is almost 6') and she knows where home is... has gotten out before and she sits by the gate and waits for someone to let her in.

Don't give up hope yet! I've read of people giving their chickens up for dead and they reappear - some as late as 2 or 3 weeks later. Some have found their chickens trapped under things so be sure she isn't under an overturned bucket or locked in the garage, etc. etc. I hope she comes back!!!!
fl.gif

sad.png
I am so sorry. Maybe you will be surprised and she will return again. It happened to me once with my muscovy duck. He disappeared for 3 days and then returned. Also one of my hens was found wandering 1/2 mile up the road by herself one day. All by herself, I will never know how she got there. She was a red hen too.

Back
Top Bottom