SC/NC Swappers Post Here

I know you guys may be getting tired of my inquisitive side, and would love my neck right about now
hide.gif
but I have a few more questions about showing chickens.

1. Do I have to provide my own show cage?
2. What is the ideal shampoo for chickens?
3. I heard that fireplace (not coal) or wood dust is great to have available for them.
4. I adopted these Dorkings, how do I get them to be less skitish and like to be handled? I only got to handle them once since October.
5. Any other needed advice is GREATLY appreciated!
hugs.gif

Good Morning Jan~~you can never ask too many questions, so don't worry about that....I can answer a couple of them for you:
---show cages are already in place; they usually have a small amount of shavings in them too; you probably want to bring your own bag of shaving to add to it. The show committee also provides water cups that you can place in the cage.....I always bring my own water from home, because that's what my birds are use to

---I use a "no tears" puppy, flea shampoo.....it smells good, cleans well, and if I accidentally get any in their eyes, it doesn't sting as bad

---don't know about the wood dust...

---as for taming/calming the birds; it's best to get the bird use to being in a show cage prior to a show. You can get your birds hand tame, by feeding them treats by hand....they'll learn that your hands bring nice things, so no need to be scared. I'd start out by placing the bird you're going to show, in a show size cage for about an hour each day. Make sure the cage is situated where there's noise and activity. You can increase the length of time they spend in that cage a little each day. Unfortunately, I've seen birds entered in a show who have NEVER been in a small show cage before, and they just freak out---beat their wings against the cage, rip out their feathers, etc. It's much better for the bird if they've been trained.

Best of luck

Good evening everyone. I have a Splash Cochin Roo that I need to find a home for. We weren't planning to have any roos in our little chicken clan at the moment because we aren't interested in fertilized eggs. I am not exactly sure how old he is currently but he is young, just starting to get interested in the ladies
roll.png
I would like to find him a home where he can have some girlfriends and not be destined for the stew pot. I really like the little guy, he is very comical and I hate to see him go so I would like to find him a good home. He is free for anyone interested, just send me a pm.

66577_dsc_0739.jpg

66577_dsc_0745.jpg

66577_dsc_0716.jpg

Just thought I would bring this thread back to the top and post a few updates that we have available.
big_smile.png

Lavender Orpington chicks - 2 two week olds, 3 two day olds & hatching eggs

Black Orpington Cockerel - 10 months old from exhibition English lines of "Bama chickens" stock

2 bantam mix cockerels, cute med size barnyard mix

Please pm me with any questions.

I forgot about this thread HenThyme!

I have a trio of Japanese Bantams... one Black tailed white roo & 2 grey pullets. The 2 grey are laying now at 9 months and are PQ, but the BTW is a great breeding bird. I am actually thinking of showing him in the spring if he's not gone by then.

I want their coop for my breeding silkies...

So all 3 for $25

Thought I would bring this thread to the top and see if anyone else has anything for sale??
hu.gif
Spring is coming!!
clap.gif

I have a few young cockerels available if anyone is looking for new stock:

2 French BCM cockerels, they are between 3-4 months

1 Barred Rock cockerel between 3-4 months. Nice coloring and size

Possibly 1 or 2 cuckoo marans cockerels in the near future. I believe one is french and on is english.

I also just posted a 1 day auction for 16+ Lavender & split black orpington hatching eggs if anyone's looking?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=454653

I'm
also in search of a lavender cochin pullet/hen if anyone has one available please let me know. Thanks for looking!
big_smile.png

I always forget about this, thank you for reminding me.

I have things for sale.......

Mille Fleur Cochin project birds, Frizzles, Sizzles (smooth and curly feathered) and a few ducks like a Rouen pair and some Khaki Campbell girls (no boys for the KC).

Most all offered for sale right now are adults or POL. And most have to go in pairs, trios or quads since I don't care to eat Frizzle or Sizzle meat and the MF roos and hens are too nice to eat.

***Laying Hens***4 or 5 Black Australorp Hens: From 2010 hatches. They just started laying again. Eggs range in size from Large to xL.

3 or 4 Black Giant Mixes: 2009 and 2010 birds. Laying like mad. Eggs range from xLarge to Jumbos.

All laying hens are $10 each.

***Bantam Pullet***Young Black Pullet. Cochin/Hamburg mix. Was told she was laying before I got her. She is really wild and is not petable. She is FREE to a good home.

I DO NOT hold birds, unless paid in full and there is an agreed upon time.

More birds to come. I need to make some room for the Welsummers.

*** Hatching Eggs *** - Future
I am seperating out the 4 Blue Ameraucana Hens and the Black Hen tomorrow. They will be with a Black Ameraucana Cockerel. They are all laying so eggs will be available near the end of March just in time to bring a few to Winston-Salem Show. Eggs ARE Blue. Well a one girl has a slightly aqua hue.
***Warning*** I have had trouble with bleed through colors in the Males. That could be breed out in a few generations, but I am not putting in the time.
Eggs are $8 per dozen - there won't be many, couple dozen at most.

Matt
Morganton, NC

Back
Top Bottom