Scabby face and black wattle?

Geneypie

Hatching
May 1, 2020
I recently got three Rhode Island Whites (I think) all at point of lay, one of them had swollen feet which has turned out to be scaly leg, which I am treating all of them for. However in the last week she's developed what I thought was scaly face (a google told me it was possible but not common in chickens?) but I'm wondering if it's fowl pox or something else? She has yellowish scabs all over her face, a patchy red/pink comb and her wattles have turned dark in the last couple of days (see pics, I have managed to get her sitting next to her sister for comparison). I'm using Nettex scaly leg spray on their feet and Johnson's scaly lotion on her face (accidentally bought a tiny bottle then bought the big Nettex spray bottle) which I'm applying with a paintbrush, but it's too soon to see results if it is scaly mites on her face.

Behaviour is completely normal, she's still running down the garden towards me when she sees me, still laying every day. She is a bit lazier anyway as all three of them were quite overweight, but that's slowly rectifying itself as they're bottom of the pecking order. I've noticed she pays a lot more attention to her face than the others when having a dust bath so it's obviously bothering her.
Any poops that I've witnessed are quite runny, but we've had a heatwave so they've all been drinking a lot and I've seen more runny poop in general.
They were all wormed a couple of weeks ago with flubenvet.
I have recently switched from using straw to sand in their coop to allow for easier daily poop scooping.
Thanks in advance for any ideas

IMG_20200724_120328.jpg IMG_20200724_123534.jpg
IMG_20200724_123652.jpg

I cannot real tell if that is pox or not. Usually fowl pox scabs start out light, changing to brown, until they fall off in a few weeks. Scaly face mites is a thing though. It can be treated with ivermectin or petroleum jelly. Do you have a picture of the swollen legs?

Thanks for the reply, I can't find anything online that looks like her face. Here's a picture of her foot, she has a few big patches of scales that look like they're about to fall off and she scratches her face with her foot if any thing's stuck to it so it's not a stretch to think it's spread. All three of them have quite fat feet but hers are the biggest. I'm not experienced I enough with different breeds to know what size is normal as I only had gingernuts up until now.
IMG_20200724_114955.jpg

What do her foot pads look like? There is a lot of crust near the bottoms of her foot. Look for any bumblefoot scabs. Her fat feet and legs might be due to articular gout. Gout can have a number of possible causes. I forgot to mention her black wattles in my previous post. That could be from some sort of staining or bruising. Usually the wattles and comb are the same color. I am not sure what is in Nettex spray to kill mites, but if it doesn’t seem to work, I would use a thick oil, such as petroleum jelly or mineral or castor oil to rub into the scales on the legs.

What do her foot pads look like? There is a lot of crust near the bottoms of her foot. Look for any bumblefoot scabs.

Sorry I completely forgot to post an update! Thanks to you I had a look at her foot pads once the crusty bit came off and she did indeed have bumblefoot. The vets here have recently reopened so I had a consultation from the car and she does just have bumblefoot and scaly leg, which has spread to her face and her belly because she's been sitting on her feet so much. I took the other two with me and they have bumblefoot too, but look like they had it a while back and had done a lot of healing already. He cut out some tissue out and gave me antibiotics for the bumblefoot and told me to just keep on with what I was doing for the mites and to dust their coop/nesting boxes with DE. For some reason he didn't use ivermectin. I showed him the spray I'm using and he said it would work, so perhaps he didn't feel the need.
He did give me one tip I'm not really capable of doing, which is to have a new branch every night for them to perch on and then burn it the morning after. I don't think my landlord would appreciate me butchering his trees.

Thank you for the update.

He did give me one tip I'm not really capable of doing, which is to have a new branch every night for them to perch on and then burn it the morning after. I don't think my landlord would appreciate me butchering his trees.

Instead of 'butchering trees' you could use double-sided adhesive tape on the new roost wrapping it around at each end where it meets the wall. Any mites coming or going will stick to it and no longer be able to molest your hens and hide in the cracks of your coop.

Back
Top Bottom