1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

scabies - can chickens get scabies and how do you treat for them?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jasonm11, May 25, 2011.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    I was given a dog that has scabies (mites) and was told to start treating my other dog and make sure to wash our hands and clothes. My question is can the chickens and turkeys catch this and if so how woiuld I treat them??

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    As far as I know, scabies is what it's called when humans get mites, dogs get mange. And yes, chickens can get mites, but they might not be the same kind your new dog is carrying. Make sure you get really rid of the mange in the dog. It can be hard to get rid of, spreads very easily, and can be fatal. If you think your chickens have mites (you'd be able to see them) check teh diseases forum for cures. [​IMG]

3. drpeeps2014

drpeeps2014 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    De Leon Springs, FL
    Mange is simply any disease of the skin caused by mites.

Also known as canine scabies, sarcoptic mange is a highly contagious infestation of Sarcoptes scabiei canis (Scabies mite), a burrowing mite. The canine sarcoptic mite can also infest humans (scabies), cats, pigs, horses, sheep and various other species. This mite normally only infects mammals.

So it should not pose a threat to the birds. Birds are infected by a different species of mite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcoptic_mange#Sarcoptic_mange

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_mite

should still check with your vet though

4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    thanks, My MIL took the dog to the vet and did not ask the question, besides I figured if it was common issue with mites in fowl then where better to go than the forum. My meaties do have mites around theirvents, I sa a few today. I have put DE on the bird and in their tractor and we still have some. What's next to try?

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    De doesn't prevent mites or any other external parasite. Seven dust is a better solution

6. eijay

eijay New Egg

Dec 15, 2015
    as far i know yes chicken can carry scabies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by