Scalding water

mommissan

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Adirondacks
Okay, I butchered my third rooster this morning. I had everything all ready...... except I didn't check my scalding water temp. I'm too cheap to get a thermometer.
hmm.png
So, when I dipped him in, I realized it was still way too hot. I'm guessing by my calculations, it was more like 170, not 140. The feathers slipped right out at first, but I noticed the skin was more yellow than the last one. Also, he was covered with pin feathers that just wouldn't come out as easily. I also noticed that the meat at the top of one wing was turning white, like it was cooked.

So, I concede that I must go out and buy a thermometer. Did I damage the meat by not using the right temp? Would the pin feathers have slipped out easier if I did? I have him in the freezer now. He dressed out at a whopping 2 lb. 4 oz. @ 15 weeks old. Is that a decent size considering he free ranged?

You probably didn't damage any meat, it's just precooked a bit
smile.png
As for pin feathers - they are bear sometimes. I find it's easier now to get them out after resting - sometimes I just clean them the best I can, rest, freeze, and when I thaw to cook, I run the dull side of a knife against the grain of the pins, and they slide out.

I'm not suggesting this as a first time thing, but I find I'm usually at the right temp of water if I can stick a finger in it for almost a second before it's too hot. DO NOT do that if the water is close to boiling. It's an experience thing, but it's safe to say - if the water almost burns you, it's too hot!

Thanks. I'll try that finger test next time. I would feel bad if my rooster died in vain. As for pin feathers, when I thaw him out, I'll give the knife a whirl. If that doesn't work, I'll just cover him in BBQ sauce.

I remember when I was little my Grandmother taking chicken and running it over the flame of the stove burner to get rid of the pin feathers.

Quote:
That's usually done to remove fine hairs from the carcass, it won't burn off the pinfeathers.

Okay, that answers the other question I forgot to ask. Thanks!

The main risk with getting the scald water too hot is it weakens the skin and makes it more susceptible to tearing. If you didn't have that problem, don't worry. Overscalding does turn the skin yellow but that's not really any problem in my experience. The hotter the scald, the easier the feathers slip; I often go to 150. Pinfeathers are always a pain.

Sounds like a pretty small carcass to me, but you didn't say what breed it was. I want my birds to come in above 4 lbs to justify all that effort!

I would have loved to hold out until he made 4 pounds, but he was crowing too much for this neighborhood. He wasn't a meat chicken. I got him from a local farm full of mutts. He looked mostly BR, but his legs and beak were white, so maybe Cuckoo Marans (though I doubt that since this farm didn't strike me as the exotic breed type).

98707_ray.jpg

All my birds are mutts, so I have no clue when I can be sure who is a pullet and who is a roo until they crow, and loudly. Maybe hatchery next time....
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom