Scaled feet only at joint

cloudstreaker

Chirping
Mar 1, 2021
Midwest, USA
My silver laced Wyandotte rooster has had this on his feet for pretty much as long as we've had him (4 months.) I thought it might be scaly mites but it's only the joint area and no other chicken has caught it. When he lifts his foot it shakes but he is crowing and acting fine. Just want to make sure he's okay.
20210225_142942.jpg

These look like scaly leg mites. Prepare a little tub for him full of warm water. (put a towel around his head so that he doesn't freak out) dry it off, and jently rub off any lose scales. Dip problem spot in a bit of olive oil. wipe off oil and cover in vasaline! Leave that there . repeat until mites are gone!

Catch him at dusk, keep low light as much as possible. You can put in a tub of warm water (utility sink, for example). Most of the time, they are ok with feet in the water. Cover eyes/head if needed to keep him calm.

These look like scaly leg mites. Prepare a little tub for him full of warm water. (put a towel around his head so that he doesn't freak out) dry it off, and jently rub off any lose scales. Dip problem spot in a bit of olive oil. wipe off oil and cover in vasaline! Leave that there . repeat until mites are gone!
Thank you for the detailed explanation! I will give it a try! Should I do it once every day until they're gone?

Back
Top Bottom