Scalped chick!! Help!

Hippychickenmama

Hatching
Apr 15, 2021
My older chickens attacked my 8 week old chicks this morning while I was tending to my son. One is dead and the other managed to hide. I wasn’t sure she would make it but I cleaned her wounds with hydrogen peroxide and saline because that’s all I have at the moment. She is currently in our basement so I can keep an eye on her. What can I do to help her? She will move around some but is very weak so she just sleeps. Do I give her antibiotics? Anything specific I need to buy? I’m very new to chickens and don’t have a ton of knowledge on how to treat them if they’re sick/injured.

Attachments

• DEAAEBAC-1307-4BB5-A22C-C71E50AFA3FA.jpeg
    DEAAEBAC-1307-4BB5-A22C-C71E50AFA3FA.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 7065AE9C-DD02-40ED-97DB-32679F906A26.jpeg
    7065AE9C-DD02-40ED-97DB-32679F906A26.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 13
Use the saline to clean, and put some antibiotic ointment on the wound twice a day. Vetericyn wound spray or honey can also be used. Keep her separated until she has healed, and more of the same size. Take it slow, and introduce her iside a wire dog crate with food and water very slowly. Sorry that you lost the other one.

Use the saline to clean, and put some antibiotic ointment on the wound twice a day. Vetericyn wound spray or honey can also be used. Keep her separated until she has healed, and more of the same size. Take it slow, and introduce her iside a wire dog crate with food and water very slowly. Sorry that you lost the other one.
Thank you for responding. My husband is getting vetericyn spray on his way home. Do I need to give her electrolytes or medicated feed?

If she will eat her food or some wet feed, she probably doesn’t need electrolytes. But having Poultry NutriDrench around, you can always give her a couple of drops as a boost if she is weak. Water is very important.

Back
Top Bottom