1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scalped hen..graphic pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bisqit&Gravy, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    For some reason, my OEG rooster, 2 OEG hens and my silkie mix hen started picking on the mille fluers. Why I have no idea as the MF's were here before most of them and no one has bother them before.
    Both MF's are in my house now. One hen's comb is all chewed up and the other one has been scalped!!! I cleaned it up the best I could without hurting her and put some antibiotic ointment on it. I have some inj meds but no needles left. Will get some at work tomorrow.

Do ya'll think this will heal up?

[​IMG]

2. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Wow, poor hen. It will be a long road to recovery. But with help I think she will make it.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like the tissue is still there, so if you can get it to sew back up, but to also drain, I'd say she has a chance.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Keep it clean, dry and away from further injury! Less is more so don't do anything to her if you don't have too. I had a guinea get scalped WAY worse than this and he is fine.

5. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    the same thing happend to one of my cockerels... and he is still alive and is now a beautiful mixed breed rooster! The only thing I did was kept it quarentined until it looked a little better and then let it back with the other chickens cleaning the wound every day. the skin grew back about a month later and feathers came about two months later... I hope this helped!

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Hope she pulls through, Iv never seen that before !

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Aww poor girl [​IMG] I hope she gets better!!!

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i've seen that a lot growing up around game hens, you have to watch them closely as any games.. They'll be fine most of the time and then they'll turn on each other (Suppose for higher pecking order or something), usually takes about a week or so to heal without any antibiotics etc... I got a couple of bald hens running around because of that reason.

9. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Been here before!!! Isolate the chicken and wash it out. Put some antibotic cream on it like Neosporin. You could buy some antibiotic powder to put in the water. I have used Blue Cote too. It works good. It will survive. You might be able to stitch it up too.

10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Hope she heals up for you.

That made my head hurt. Gotta go get me some ibuprophen now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by