Scaly Leg, here is my plan of action

Captain Carrot

Songster
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
Austria
I picked one of hens off the roost tonight to do my regular health check, (I check a different hen ever other day or so) and I think she may have scaly leg. I checked the other birds too but didn't notice anything.

The back of her legs appear white (they're normally yellow on the back and black at the front) and one of the legs looks swollen. does this sound like scaly leg? Hopefully if it is, then I've discovered it early.

I'm going to bathe all of my chickens legs, use a baby toothbrush to clean them off, then smear Vaseline over the legs. Is this a good treatment?

I don't have the space at the moment to rehouse them, unless I clear my stable out first (that's half a days work).

I don't know how to treat the roosts and nest boxes. There are two sets of roosts in the shed...one of them the birds don't use do you think it'll be ok if I switch them and spay the one they use with WD40 or smear with Vaseline.

I'm going to replace the bedding tomorrow.

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
smile.png

If you're sure it's scaly leg mites....very scaly looking and the chickens scales sort of lift.....then another thing you can do is mix some poultry dust in with the vasceline. Really helps kill them!

The idea is to drown the little suckers. Any kind of oil liberally applies to the legs and feet will do that. Spray both roosts with WD-40. Re treat the legs about once a week until the scales start looking better. Shouldn`t take long. The swelling isn`t normally associated with scaley leg mites, but could be. Keep an eye on that leg........Pop

Quote:
I'm going to treat anyways, just to be on the safe side, can I use WD-40 on the chickens too? Will that work? Maybe I could dust the legs after spraying with the powder stuff.

Quote:
I'm going to treat anyways, just to be on the safe side, can I use WD-40 on the chickens too? Will that work? Maybe I could dust the legs after spraying with the powder stuff.

WD-40 will work on the legs, no need to add the powder, just be sure the legs are soaked well and do all the birds and both roosts.........Pop

Back
Top Bottom