Scaly leg mite!! Please help!

The only thing the oil does (any oil) is suffocate the mites so they'll die. It will help soothe the skin on the legs as previously mentioned, but it won't get rid of them for good. The only things that have ever worked for me were petroleum jelly and ivermectin.
I would use the jelly in the beginning stages when the scales of their legs only looked red and irritated and slightly raised. Once they get to the point where there's crust developing and it's becoming thick like plaque, that's when I'd bring in the heavy artillery. The ivermectin, You can put it on the skin behind the neck (just a dab), give it orally or inject it. I don't recommend the last two for home use if you're not familiar with its dosing. As always, please consult your Veterinarian first. These mites can lay dormant for many months until a new offering shows up and then it's...POW !!! They're all over it in seconds. Whatever you decide to use, just be sure to keep at it for a while (like 6 - 8 weeks) so you can follow their life cycle and kill all the offspring in all of their stages. Also, during this time, be on the lookout for any other illnesses or signs of infection because scaly leg mites are one of the leading causes of secondary infections and arthritis in birds. Chickens included. Hope this helps your little babies out. I have silkies too and it's always distressing to see them not well. Take care and good luck.

I've only used cooking oil. I tasted a flock that they have at a local farming demonstration place. They knew nothing about caring for them. Some had lost toes and even died from it. There were 80 or so and I had to do it fast. I poured oil in a coffee can and went along the roosts grabbing and dunking. Messy but effective. The worst I brought home to give more intense care and those got ivermectin.

Thanks for all the replies everyone,

I'm using oil now every second day for her and it is coming together slowly. :)

Do you know any good preventions for my two other girl's? Oh yeah, and where do you get ivermectin from?

I ordered it from Jeffers I believe. It is ivomec pour on for cattle. I just check the legs on mine ever so often. I take a good flashlight and go out and check one a night to see how the legs and feet are and to check for mites or lice. I am fighting bumblefoot right now. So far none of mine have gotten scaly leg mites.

Back
Top Bottom