1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scaly leg mite question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kywest, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kywest

kywest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    central Ohio
    Just noticed scaly leg mites on about half the flock this am. Here's the question: Just finished worming with pour on ivermectin about 3-4 weeks ago. Just thoroughly cleaned and dusted coop with DE two days ago. Should I repeat these two (ivermectin/thorough cleaning) along with treating legs with some type of oil product (seems to be consensus)? I hate to loose two more weeks of eggs - they just started laying regularly again! Also, though it prudent to treat everyone, not just those showing symptoms, right?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend you use vaseline to smother them. You'll have to lather it on them maybe twice a day til they're gone. I also recommend you use sevin dust to dust your chickens as well as inside their house. Repeat everything again in 10 days, including redusting your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by