Scaly Leg Mites and Re-homing

StephanieCoop

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
I am so sad that I have been cited for a violation for my 8 (hens) chickens on my 1 acre of land outside city limits
hmm.png
. I may have to re-home them if I don't get to keep them. I am trying to figure out a way!!!!

I have been treating them for Scaly Leg Mites for some time now, I have been more aggressive since I got this violation, in case I have to re-home them.

My question is: Should I re-home them (of course, I would explain that they have SLM) or would this only be spreading these mites around??? I have had luck getting rid of them (or so I thought) and they always come back. If I shouldn't rehome them then that only leaves one other option and I am NOT prepared to do that!!!!

I would love some advice or opinions.

Hi Stephanie, So sorry to hear that you have been cited for keeping chickens. What a sad day this must be for you. As for the Scaley Leg Mites, what all have you been doing to treat them? Wash the legs down with soap and lightly scrub the scales. You don't want to pick off any big crusts. You can then apply vaseline or olive oil. You want to smother the mites over time. Red Cote is supposed to work wonders on Leg Scale and kills the mites quick. Ivermectin on the back of the neck helps to remove mites. If you are continuously having issues with Leg Scale, then you are either not getting them all or your grounds are infested. The treatments need to continue for a few weeks to a month to kill off all the mites.

It is always best to inform new owners of all the birds conditions, however rehoming them with issues can be difficult. It is entirely up to you.

Good luck and again, so sorry about having to rehome your chickens.

I have been slathering their legs with Vaseline nightly. I have been more consistent these days. Some have lost their scales already, some are just in the beginning stages of SLM. I have read so much on 'how to treat SLM' and I thought this sounded the easiest and cheapest.

Back
Top Bottom