Scaly leg mites (best treatments?)

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
Hi there, does anyone have some effective treatment for scaly leg mites. I haven’t ever had it, but this year the sparrows kept sneaking into the coop.

anyways , we have ugly raised scales, not to bad yet. Two of my older hens are showing it and my broilers look clean and my silkie I don’t know.

advice and treatment. Any treatment or topicals ?

I read soaked the legs in soap and adding petroleum jelly. Is there any other treatments more affective?? I have another 9 pullets to join soon.

Just spray the legs of all your chickens for 10 consecutive days (every other day) with Ballistol Spray while they are roosting at night. You can touch them gently at the front so they will stand up and you can easily spray them without even having to pick them from the roost.

All the mites will be smothered, their eggs as well and the chickens will soon display nice and smooth legs.

I would recommend spraying the affected area with Vetericynin twice daily.For about 2 weeks or until the mites die. You can get Vetericyn from your local tractor supply or Amazon. I would also recommend after spraying the vetericyn that you smear the affected area with Vaseline or petroleum jelly.

The leg mites need to be smothered with oil, such as castor, mineral, vaseline, or others. Leg mites may also be treated with ivermectin given once and again in 14 days. You can use the injectable orally, or the pour-on topically on the skin of the back of the neck along the spine 0.1 ml for each 2 pounds of weight. There is an egg withdrawal time with ivermectin. Here is a good article:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

The leg mites need to be smothered with oil, such as castor, mineral, vaseline, or others. Leg mites may also be treated with ivermectin given once and again in 14 days. You can use the injectable orally, or the pour-on topically on the skin of the back of the neck along the spine 0.1 ml for each 2 pounds of weight. There is an egg withdrawal time with ivermectin. Here is a good article:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

I have some of the topical , I’ll add it to my girls. After it’s applied do I not eat the eggs for a few days? I can not seem to remember that part

Back
Top Bottom