Scaly leg mites

Kaitiwolfe

Chirping
Mar 28, 2018
I believe one of my girls has the beginning of scaly leg mites, what are some ways we can treat this? Thanks!

I believe one of my girls has the beginning of scaly leg mites, what are some ways we can treat this? Thanks!
Can you post some photos?

Scaly leg mites can be treated with an application of oil once a week. You may want to wash the legs to help get any debris out from underneath the scales.

Oil is your choice - it's purpose is to smother the mites. People use anything from Vaseline to Coconut oil.

Since you thing it might be SLM and just beginning - oil to me would be a better choice than using an anti-parasitic like Ivermectin, this way you don't have to worry about drug residues.

Full image is when I first noticed feet is today and they look completely normal... Is it normal to go back and forth like that or did I freaking out over nothing? (I know the full image is not great but she's a little skiddish and it was the best I could get at the time unfortunately)

Scaly leg mites can be treated with an application of oil once a week. You may want to wash the legs to help get any debris out from underneath the scales.

Oil is your choice - it's purpose is to smother the mites. People use anything from Vaseline to Coconut oil.

Since you thing it might be SLM and just beginning - oil to me would be a better choice than using an anti-parasitic like Ivermectin, this way you don't have to worry about drug residues.
20181105_194112.jpg
20181105_194112.jpg

Attachments

• 20181105_183510.jpg
    20181105_183510.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 15
Looks fine to me ... Maybe it was just some dirt in the creases?

Scaly leg mites defecate under the scales of your chickens' feet, this is what causes the scales to rise up. The dark lines can definitely be scaly leg mite poo beginning to ooze out. Don't take a chance, treat with petroleum jelly.

Would I have to treat all or only her? And do I need to wrap or just let it go aannddd last question is it best to do in morning or evening or does it matter?

Scaly leg mites defecate under the scales of your chickens' feet, this is what causes the scales to rise up. The dark lines can definitely be scaly leg mite poo beginning to ooze out. Don't take a chance, treat with petroleum jelly.

Back
Top Bottom