scaly leg mites

It would've been polite of me to give you a like @DVK when you asked for my wisdom, but unfortunately you also mentioned 'car gasoline' in the same post and I experienced a temporary paralysis of my typing hand.:barnie.

I think that the ones easily susceptible to SLM need a maintenance treatment. Once a week or once every two weeks. Lately I've been using castor oil, the hen likes it because she closes her eyes when I massage her toes and foot pad. Clearly they are very sensitive on their soles, just like us. And reaching too quickly for the scalpel for bumblefoot is another blunder on the @chicken-chick blog (yeah, actually a member, as I found out looking at an old thread). Besides alcohol, I also tried vinegar for dipping (no pain that I noticed). After evaporation, applied castor oil with some minced garlic in it (garlic is also an insecticide) of course it made her smell like salad dressing. Don't know if the garlic made a difference here and oil + garlic should be thrown out after a few days.

It would've been polite of me to give you a like @DVK when you asked for my wisdom, but unfortunately you also mentioned 'car gasoline' in the same post and I experienced a temporary paralysis of my typing hand.:barnie.

I think that the ones easily susceptible to SLM need a maintenance treatment. Once a week or once every two weeks. Lately I've been using castor oil, the hen likes it because she closes her eyes when I massage her toes and foot pad. Clearly they are very sensitive on their soles, just like us. And reaching too quickly for the scalpel for bumblefoot is another blunder on the @chicken-chick blog (yeah, actually a member, as I found out looking at an old thread). Besides alcohol, I also tried vinegar for dipping (no pain that I noticed). After evaporation, applied castor oil with some minced garlic in it (garlic is also an insecticide) of course it made her smell like salad dressing. Don't know if the garlic made a difference here and oil + garlic should be thrown out after a few days.
Couldn't agree more regarding maintenance. It's a bit of a chore but well worth it in the long run.
Couldn't agree more regarding bubble foot as well.
In fact, lets get married.:D

I've had some success with simply dipping in "Captain Jack's Dead Bug Spray."
Can't recall the actual chemical name, but it is one that vets do routinely use and we trust the product line on our fruit trees too. It was recommended to me for my garden and orchard by a naturalistic arborist and again recommended for the birds at the garden store. It does indeed appear to be helping.
I would likely have faster success if I also dipped/rubbed with an oil. I have simply neglected to do so as the ladies look a lot better already.

I should add, my afflicted hens came in this horribly tight, dark, dirty coop. I've read that mites often live in the coop and not just on the birds. Things started to improve shortly after getting them out of there, as I was also treating them. This may be an important factor for you too.

Back
Top Bottom