scaly leg mites

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
my chickens definitely have scaly leg mites. but I was wondering what else they have, because along with raised scales, they have feathered feet, so the part of their toe/feet which have feathers, there are kind of no scales there or something and its like pin feathers growing out of a fat meaty blob. like its inflamed and seems like a separate piece of red meat which the pin feathers are growing from.

IMG_8404.PNG
IMG_8409.PNG
IMG_8407.PNG

IMG_8412.PNG
IMG_8413.PNG
the weird meaty bit normally can be seen clearer from the top but there feathers were covering it.
is the red meat the feathers are growing out from normal and in the 2nd and 3rd picture my hens foot looks like there's no scales on her toe and its growing directly from meat or something
video her legs
I want to buy a spray for the scaly leg mites instead of using vaseline to suffocate them, so is it fine to use on the raw red bit? And does anyone know of any sprays you can use which you can still eat their eggs from. Also how do I use the spray through their feathers.

I have a feather-footed hen with the same thing. Seems like she has an extra chunk of flesh on the side of her foot. Last year when she was regrowing feathers after a molt I noticed that area looked unusually red and puffy so I soaked her feet in warm epsom salt water a few times and she was back to normal in a week or so. Your girl's feet don't look as puffy as mine did so the red may just be from blood circulating, but if you're concerned I'd just start with a foot soak.

I also don't see any sign you need to treat her for scaly leg mite, though it can be hard to tell for sure with feathered feet. The featherless toe looks completely normal and any of the slightly raised scales on the other toes are likely from the feathers. Unless you've seen some crust/crud forming on her legs I think she's fine.

I have a feather-footed hen with the same thing. Seems like she has an extra chunk of flesh on the side of her foot. Last year when she was regrowing feathers after a molt I noticed that area looked unusually red and puffy so I soaked her feet in warm epsom salt water a few times and she was back to normal in a week or so. Your girl's feet don't look as puffy as mine did so the red may just be from blood circulating, but if you're concerned I'd just start with a foot soak.

I also don't see any sign you need to treat her for scaly leg mite, though it can be hard to tell for sure with feathered feet. The featherless toe looks completely normal and any of the slightly raised scales on the other toes are likely from the feathers. Unless you've seen some crust/crud forming on her legs I think she's fine.
thanks for the response!
she was one of the hens i didnt think had it actually, but its strange that feather footed chickens sometimes have meat falling out of their toes. the others definitely have it here are their feet
45EA3241-8A90-497B-BF9B-3F12910D0651.png

my chickens definitely have scaly leg mites. but I was wondering what else they have, because along with raised scales, they have feathered feet, so the part of their toe/feet which have feathers, there are kind of no scales there or something and its like pin feathers growing out of a fat meaty blob. like its inflamed and seems like a separate piece of red meat which the pin feathers are growing from.

View attachment 3464851View attachment 3464857View attachment 3464863
View attachment 3464867View attachment 3464871 the weird meaty bit normally can be seen clearer from the top but there feathers were covering it.
is the red meat the feathers are growing out from normal and in the 2nd and 3rd picture my hens foot looks like there's no scales on her toe and its growing directly from meat or something
video her legs
I want to buy a spray for the scaly leg mites instead of using vaseline to suffocate them, so is it fine to use on the raw red bit? And does anyone know of any sprays you can use which you can still eat their eggs from. Also how do I use the spray through their feathers.

I see this is old now, but it is very infected. She needs soaked and some antibacterial ointment with no pain relief added put on it. She probably needed antibiotics too. I would get help and do the bag balm or vaseline first anyway. Wait till the infection is healed before you do anything too strong. I might even pull some of the feathers so it heals better but I am not sure on that. Vets are hard to get but ask a nurse friend about this basic wound care. I would treat it every day till you see improvement then maybe every other day. Get a spray to doall your other irdsfor preventative andclean the coop very well and put Saturday night lime and diatomaceous earth under the bedding. How did things go, did you get help, did she live?

I see this is old now, but it is very infected. She needs soaked and some antibacterial ointment with no pain relief added put on it. She probably needed antibiotics too. I would get help and do the bag balm or vaseline first anyway. Wait till the infection is healed before you do anything too strong. I might even pull some of the feathers so it heals better but I am not sure on that. Vets are hard to get but ask a nurse friend about this basic wound care. I would treat it every day till you see improvement then maybe every other day. Get a spray to doall your other irdsfor preventative andclean the coop very well and put Saturday night lime and diatomaceous earth under the bedding. How did things go, did you get help, did she live?
which one is infected? the video or the picture of the meat? I ordered spray and started putting it on them and i feel there has been some improvement.

if you mean the second picture, i dont know what has happened but is now looking like its kind of scaleless and has sort of black dots on each scale. or the scales are very pale w black dots in the middle

Back
Top Bottom