Scaly leg mites

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
I noticed lifted scales on my hens feet yesterday, having read other posts about it, I searched the house for Vaseline but could only find coconut oil. I’m headed out to apply that this morning.

I saw someone else say to treat the whole coop with neem oil, even the chickens could be sprayed with it… I don’t have neem but I do have a spray we use on the dogs to kill fleas, ticks, and mosquitos
image.jpg
I also have a lice deterrent spray I use for keeping the creepy crawlers away on us.
image.jpg
Would either of these be useful? I have good grade diatomaceous earth I can also add to the run, I just haven’t before because of warning about it affecting the hens breathing when they dust bathe.

I’d really appreciate any guidance. I don’t want the issue to get worse. Especially with one of the family favorites being affected, they’d be devastated if she were to get sick.

Also do we need to wear gloves or anything when applying oil to the legs?

Thanks again!

Those products with essential oils won't kill anything but may help deter them somewhat.

I use food grade DE for years, but that too won't kill anything and is a preventative.

I would get some garden dust powder, like Permethrin dust, and wear a mask and dust your coop totally with it. That stuff will kill mites/lice. You can also dust your chickens with it.

As for the SLM (scaly leg mites), the principle is to smother the mites. Your coconut oil should do that if rubbed in well. Vaseline would work better as it is thicker and would fill up every crack and crevice rather than just coat it.

How we did it is to go into the coop at night. I had vaseline with A&D diaper rash ointment and Vicks. You can mix essential oils in this too if you want or just use vaseline plain. We slathered each of their legs and feet well, in-between toes. This works better with two people so one can hold the chicken but I've done it alone too. We repeated this every other night for three times. It worked!

Thank you, I have a permethrin powder by the same brand above I wonder if that’s safe to use for the coop or should I buy something else? I got everyone legs with coconut oil this morning even though only three had lifted scales. While I was doing this I discovered Bumblefoot on one of my orpingtons, I had noticed swelling a couple days ago but no heat or wounds and thought maybe because she’s a larger bird and the swelling wasn’t much different than the other pros I might have been looking for something to be wrong. Anyways, I couldn’t do much before work so I coated her foot in neosporin and wrapped with vet wrap. Im trying to find last weeks featured post on Bumblefoot if anyone can tag me in it I would appreciate it, I’m scrolling through all the posts now.

Back
Top Bottom