scaly leg

cath

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
South Wales, UK
A couple of my hens have got scaly leg. I have tried bathing them with warm water:) and painting surgical spirit on them once a week for several weeks, the condition hasn't got any worse, but is no better either. Can anyone help please?
smile.png

I "inherited" two chickens that have this also. Is it painful, harmful, contagious (I'm sure it is) and what are the ultimate outcomes of just letting it be? It doesn't appear to cause them any discomfort, it just looks gross. Anyone out there?

I know it is contagious and if let untreated can cause lameness, so it must cause a certain amount of pain or discomfort.:|

Our rooster had it. He also had lice on his body. WE bathed his legs and coated them with petroleum jelly; treated him with DE and later treated all of him with cage bird bird mite spray and also soaked his pen with cage bird mite spray (we took him out for the day first, of course) a week or so of doing this and his mites and lice seem to be gone and legs almost back to normal. There is stronger stuff you can get (I THINK it's Ivermectin, but not sure, you might want to verify this) that's supposed to work really well, within twenty four hours or so if you dip the bird and then stand them in it for a few minutes; I have not tried this. Whatever you do you also have to treat his living quarters too.

mineral oil,wd-40,PAM,vicks salve, petroleum jelly, ivermectin, adams flea and tick spray- all have been recommended as well as tea tree oil and used motor oil. I am using mineral oil at the moment.I am treating everyone- just in case- and every week. I think the vicks was very effective but I ran out and had mineral oil on hand.I plan to clean the coop and put sown a thick layer of DE this weekend too.Been using sevin but I was treated to a bucket of DE from a friend
lol.png
It takes persistance no matter what product you use to get rid of scaley leg mites

Neem oil from the health food store, apply directly, kills ticks and fleas on my dogs and I just add to the shampoo. I apply directly to ticks, works great. Works with one application. small bottle is spendy but I have had it for a year and only half is gone.

I think all the above will work,I've used wd-40.You say it's not getting worst but not better either.I think in a bad case it's going to take awhile,like a few months to a season.Don't get discouraged it won't happen overnight. Will

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, but I just want to be clear, I have never heard of using wd-40 on animals before - we are talking about the same stuff you spray on cars etc? If so then my husband is a mechanic and I will have easy access to this. I can't believe it!
big_smile.png

lots of folks use WD-40, yes the kind that you spray on squeaky hinges. personally, sounds toxic to me since the solvent in it can be absorbed through the skin...but people do it nonetheless.

i use mineral oil, it's totally harmless.

*and re: the adams flea & tick, but sure to get the one with IGR /insect growth regulator. you'll see both in the store, but this one is marked IGR.

Back
Top Bottom