Scaly Mites.. LIVING ON ME?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
OK, so I am worried now....

I have been treating my chickens for scaly leg mites for a couple of weeks... then I noticed my budgies also have scaly leg mites... AARRHH.. So I was treating them too.. very time consuming catching and treating 15 budgies plus 20 chickens.. rubbing Vaseline on their legs, beaks and feet!!!

I started to notice small raised spots.. like a very small mosquito bites appearing on my thub and finger.... now nearly very finger got them. Just 1 or 2 each.

These bumps changed over the last couple of days to dry, peeling flaky skin. They are sore 'ish' and sensitive if I touch them. There are still a few bumps too.

The problems is at the level where my nails grow.. but not on the nail.. to either side... on the sides of my fingers and thumbs.

I have convinced myself I have caught the scaly mites.... is that at all possible?

If so, maybe I need to Vaseline my fingers over night.
idunno.gif

You may have irritated your skin to the point of getting some sort of infection. Lice and mites are species specific. An MD visit might be in order, or at least I would try an antibiotic ointment.

I thought that too.... But how did the same mites get on my budgies that are next to the chickens?

I once caught fish TB when I worked I a pet shop.. Kills fish, but skin infection in humans.

I only treating my birds with Vaseline.. No chemical.

I am off to drug store tomorrow.
1f601.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/606141/ivermectin-use-for-scaly-leg-mites/0_20

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/606141/ivermectin-use-for-scaly-leg-mites/0_20

There are some good sources in those links. It's not clear to me that anything is better or produces quicker results than smothering them with something like Vaseline or cooking oil, even though it would seem to make sense. Soaking and/or gentle scrubbing with a soft brush before the oil helps to expose them and remove debris.

I wonder whether anyone actually knows whether the same species of mite can infest both chickens and budgies. I certainly don't.

This research paper shows that two different species of scaly leg mites infest budgies and chickens. Is it possible that something else may be affecting your birds? While most mites and lice are species specific, there are some avian mites that do bite humans when birds are not available. It could also be something totally unrelated, or some other insect like a mosquito that bit you.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm022#TABLE_1

It couldn't hurt to treat your birds (at least the chickens) with some Sevin powder to take care of any other little bugs that might be living on them. It won't help the scaly leg mites, but should help with any feather or skin parasites.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I have always used Vaseline to treat the chickens that got scaly leg. It works well. They have been free of the disease for a few years.. but I think my neighbours chickens bought it back.. as they often come into my garden.

I don't like to use the ivomec stuff as its a strong chemical.. and I 'farm' everything organically. I don't use any chemicals in the garden at all, or for my pets. However, if the budgies did not respond to the treatment I will take them to the vet.., I won't let them suffer or get worse.

Most of my fingertips are looking better now too. Only one thumb has got a bit scaly white patch on the side. I know it is said to be impossible to get these mites.. but it sure looks the same on my skin as it does on the budgies beaks!! I am now wearing gloves when I handle them.. and washing my hands after.. I recon if the mites are on my fingers,, they will die out.. as I am not a bird.. so they won't be able to complete their life cycle on me.

Back
Top Bottom