scaly mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buff chicken, Nov 20, 2010.

1. buff chicken

buff chicken New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    today i was looking at my buff OEGB and his feet looked like they have mites and my brother cheltichill has a bird with scaly mites. i guess that im getting concerned with him and that he is a new bird to me so what are the symptoms for scaly mites

buff chicken [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    The symptoms are raised scales and/or patchy crusty looking stuff on the legs. I am currently treating this. Rub the legs with oil. It smothers the mites. You can use cooking oil, or mineral oil...it doesn't matter what kind. You can do a search on here and find lots of suggestions and I don't think it matters a whole lot what you use so long as you use something! They will lose their toes after awhile if not treated. Also check the head, they can have them around the beak and comb also. I am also treating them with pour on ivomec.
    sharon

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:You got a good answer. Vaseline works, too.

4. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Im just adding this because my brother left it out. The Cockerel has black "lines" on his scales that appears to be a little "Lifted Up"

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Bump, Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by