Scammers s*ck

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
I just found out that my 76 yr old mom has been sending $$ to some shmoe in Jamaica! This is the same guy who told her 3 months ago (via cell phone call) that she had won a new Mercedes and $1.3 million! I googled the Mercedes scam and printed out the results, showing her that it is fraudulent. She said she'd change her phone #, and was glad she hadn't totally fallen for it. Well, she didn't change her #, and a friend of my DD who works at a bank told DD that G'ma has been in, sending $$$$ to Jamaica!
th.gif
Mom does'nt know exactly how much she's spent, but I am seriously concerned that this a-hole has gotten info about her trust acc't, which she really needs. She's taken out at least one loan, for $250 - and has had to borrow gas money twice in the last 2 weeks. She lives on our property (MIL house). She's always been so prudent with her finances. She was a registered nurse in pediatrics for 35 yrs, and continues as a caregiver for people older than her. I wish I had one of those army drones to take this guy out!!!
somad.gif
somad.gif

BTW - The scammer goes by the name of James Thomas.

Quote:
On the first incident, we actually called the U.S. Trade commission - they're the ones who told her it was a scam. We'll do that again. That's who the police said to contact.

Money aside, Gramma needs to go see the neurologist and make sure she is not showing the early stages of dementia.
I hope it is not that.
I hope it is just a soft heart .
Sorry about all of this.

thumbsup.gif

good plan!!! and before she makes a HUGE mistake I would talk with other family as well as her and see if you can get a restriction on her bank account limiting how much she can take out in a day without a co-signing signature... and you may want to think about POA...

Quote:

Quote:

Power of Attorney.
Bless her heart. I hate people that prey on older folks, children and animals.
I hope you get your mom's money back somehow and I hope that the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of the scammer.

I definitely agree that she needs to be checked for competency. Tell her you are concerned about her decisiosn, listing these two scams and ask her to see her physician to be screened to see if there is anything medically wrong. Make sure to tell the doctor about these incidents and ask him to check her for competancy. Depending on how cooperative your mom is, that may be enough; if not, you may need to proceed more formally if there seem to be any competency issues.

Sounds like you might need to be the guardian or get power of attorney to keep an eye on her funds. I hate scammers too.

Another possibility is that she could feel threatened in some way if she does not send the money. Either way, it really does sound like it's past time that she needs protection from those that prey on the vulnerable. Poor mamma.
sad.png
And they never catch these people.

Back
Top Bottom