scare do not know if its pox

Pollitollito

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
PUERTO RICO
Hi, I have a turkey 2 weeks that I noticed yesterday that has like round balls flesh colored one next to each eye, the other next to each side of the beack and two on the back of the head, and he is inside my house in a small cage, and one hen has the same but redish in color, not on the back of the head but at the face, im afraid if this is pox and if its so, how to controll it, non of my birds are vaccinated but I have a vaccine at the fridge. ah can I vaccinate adults? can I vaccinate at this stage if it is pox? do I have to vaccinate everyone all newborns after this? how can I determine if its pox or some sore or some insect bite? PLease help me I hate the look of the pox I have saw on pics I do not want them to be like that as they are so beautifull, show quality birds!!! all I have raised them since eggs, I have not introdune no new hen chicken as I only buy eggs. They all are in coop not free range. sonn my tolbunt will be hatching so I have to think this fast!!! What can I do? ah does the macaws suffer from pox? I have macaws too!!!
Thanks so much please anyone help will be appreciated!

I don't know if you have fowl pox, but pictures may help others give you an opinion. From what I have read, vaccination in a mixed flock is not helpful once the lesions appear. However, since these birds are in the house, I might vaccinate the others living outside. Here is an excerpt from Oklahoma Cooperative Extension you might find helpful.

Fowl Pox is a slow-spreading infectious viral disease of poultry and other birds. The dry form is characterized by proliferative dark skin lesions on the unfeathered skin of the head, neck, legs, and feet. The wet form is characterized by diphtheritic lesions in the mucous membranes of the mouth, tongue, upper digestive tract, or respiratory tract. Fowl pox is caused by avian poxvirus. Mortality in a flock is usually low, but fowl pox can reduce egg production and performance of the flock.
• Transmission: Occurs by blood-sucking arthropods such as mosquitoes and ingestion of sloughed infective scabs. The virus may persist in the environment for long periods of time.
• Clinical Signs: The dry form has raised wart like lesions on the unfeathered areas of the legs and head. The wet or diphtheritic form may cause severe respiratory distress, and discharge from the eyes.
• Diagnosis: May be determined by the history, and presence of typical fowl pox lesions, histopathology, and/ or virus isolation.
• Treatment: No effective treatment is available.
• Prevention: Control is by vaccination and control of vectors. Pigeonpox vaccine is most commonly used to vaccinate chickens. Vaccination is probably warranted for all small flocks.
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2113/ANSI-8300web.pdf

Also, I vaccinated my flock this year at about 15 weeks, but I was apparently too late, as a couple of weeks later, I noticed lesions on several of my roos. Best wishes. (BTW, I have no idea about macaws.)

thanks so much! I will post some pics in an hous so please keep posted, I have never seen pox in person and the pics of it ussually looks grosser thaN MY BIRDS LESIONS. Thats the reason I cannot distinguish it. dOES it leave any marks at the birds once cured? im worried as they are show quality to loose this because of the pox. Im confussed thats the reason i have ve to figure out before then to vaccinate the flock and the newborns as well! the new will be tolbunts so you know my desesperation! thanks so much and keep posted in an hour for the pics!

One more resource: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1288422/

It sounds like scars are minimal if there is no secondary infection, so you may be able to show the birds. Based on this article I would be very careful to isolate the affected birds and use good hygiene between species, clean the waterers of all birds with bleach water (2 Tablespoons/gallon is usually sufficient), also bleach roosts, remove breeding grounds for mosquitos and vaccinate all. Since the virus lasts a long time in the environment and is slow to progress, it seems likely that your flock is already exposed to the virus, but I would still take the above measures to perhaps reduce the spread of the virus. Also, unless the respiratory tract is affected, it seems that mortality is low.

I'd suggest spending some time reading articles written by veterinarians about fowl pox for the species you raise. I am sure it is a scary situation, but it doesn't seem to be terrible disease, as diseases go
hmm.png

The black lesions look like what I have on my birds, which I guessed to be fowl pox. The other "bumps" I've not seen before. Perhaps it is the "wet" version?? Hopefully someone with more expertise than I have will jump in. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom