Scared duck

Jpamero13

Chirping
Aug 24, 2021
Cantrall, Illinois
These two devils… salt n peppa. Salt, the blue Swede, and peppa the white runner. Had them since they were one day old from a farmer.
My problem is that I guess I just built them too nice a coop. They never leave it!!!
I literally have to shoo them out and sit at the door so they don’t come back in as soon as possible. Best part is… there’s a three acre pond 75 feet from their front door!
No geese, or other wildlife.

They both LOVE diving, and swimming. Often sleeping in their pool. No clue what to do, HELP!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 34FCEFF9-EAFA-4D62-95BD-BC05EF3A55DC.jpeg
    34FCEFF9-EAFA-4D62-95BD-BC05EF3A55DC.jpeg
    970.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2888ACCA-0ECF-4AB0-81A9-8416BC3B883F.jpeg
    2888ACCA-0ECF-4AB0-81A9-8416BC3B883F.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 9
That looks like nice set up. Have they ever been to the pond? If not, guide them there. If so, maybe they were scared by something.

That looks like nice set up. Have they ever been to the pond? If not, guide them there. If so, maybe they were scared by something.
We have to carry them there, or herd them… about 5 feet from the pond is when they decide it’s a good idea… However, you have to follow them on the shore, or they’ll immediately hop out, and B line straight back to the coop

They’re scared of the world, and I have no clue. They’re terrified of everything even me. Which is funny, because if the chickens are out I can’t sit or squat because I become a jungle gym… (my profile picture)

How old are they?
I wouldn't worry. They will go when they feel comfortable. When I first got my ducks, I was afraid they would run away so kept them contained to the run for quite awhile and then when I wanted them to go venture out, they stayed near by and would run back into the run before adventuring into the yard. Now, they roam most of the area without any prodding.

How old are they?
I wouldn't worry. They will go when they feel comfortable. When I first got my ducks, I was afraid they would run away so kept them contained to the run for quite awhile and then when I wanted them to go venture out, they stayed near by and would run back into the run before adventuring into the yard. Now, they roam most of the area without any prodding.
That’s great news, I guess. They do seem a bit more adventurous at times. Mostly when the chickens are around. They’re only a little over 3mo…

Back
Top Bottom