Scared of plates and bowls???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WFA, Oct 30, 2011.

1. WFA

WFA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My girls and boy are afraid of bowls and plates. We have tried to get them to eat out of a bowl or off a plate. When we set it down on the ground they go running off and the treat/food etc just sits. I try daily but no change. Do any of you have any ideas I can try?

2. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    They are afraid of big scary...everything. i just toss the treats on the ground, they eat and peck stuff off the ground all day anyway. All except stuff like yogurt and oatmeal...and they seem to overcome their fear when that's around!

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Try bending down and tapping on the edge of the bowl or plate with your fingernail, imitating the way they peck at things they're curious about. I do that with a lot of new things for the chickens and my parrots. I also run my hands over things or grip them, as they watch me, when they're afraid of something new. You could also take one of the bowls or plates with your own food on it out there and eat a few bites from it, as they watch. You could also put a food they recognize and enjoy in it, like scratch. That can often tempt them to be bolder.

Usually it only takes a couple of minutes to teach chickens about new things. The more you do it, the easier it gets. They'll learn to trust you and look to you, when they're uncertain about something. Parrots are the same way. The best way to get them to eat something new is to eat it in front of them. The best way to show them something new isn't dangerous is to handle it in front of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by