scared?? roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lynnemabry, Aug 20, 2011.

1. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    I recently got a BR roo. He is hatchery stock and 7 months old. He has the 2 BR hens for his own. He has only now just started free ranging and at sundown waits for the hens to go into the coop before he will go in.

I have another roo in the coop next door that he likes to have crow off's with. They would fight if they were out together.

Any ways my problem is at sun down when I go to close the coop if he is still outside we tend to have a face off. I can't turn my back to him. He does charge me or my DH. Today I am going to try and let him know who is boss. (ME)

He was raised and gentle with the children in his old family.

Any advice??

I want to keep him for dual purpose breeding. And I want him to to be submissive to people.

2. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Well, I was having the same problem and this is what I did. First of all I caught him and held him tightly under my arm with my hand on his head holding it down and carried him around while all the girls went inside. I talked pretty agressively with him while I held him. Did this only once and he hasn't tried to do anything again. My DH is however going to remove his spurs. He is young had only started doing this. When I enter the run I now walk immediately up to him until he turns away. Hope this helps. Just try to show him who's boss.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. lynnemabry

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    carried him around for a while, and even let him help me feed his 2 girls. very little struggling. he zoned out a lot.

wondering about sundown. are some roo just rally more nervous then?

i am planning to wait until dark to close the coop tonight and let him have his space. while still teaching him that people rule by carrying him around almost daily.

5. lynnemabry

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    Quote:for so reason this link has been deleted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by