scared to let my babies out to range

missy1971

Songster
Dec 27, 2016
Harris County Georgia
Ever since my oldest (my baby girl) was killed a couple weeks ago, I have been dead set on not letting my other babies out of their run. I have 2 buffs that are about 12 weeks, who were used to foraging with my older one, and I also have 2 that are almost 8 weeks, and 5 that are right at 5 weeks. I would like for them to be out in the yard, I used to let them out when I was outside, which if I'm home is always! I guess because they are sometimes hard to round up, and since my Ginny got killed I am a nervous wreck to even let them out. I know that is not fair to them but I guess my anxiety and depression over losing my other baby has really got me scared. Do yall think I should let them out for a few hours a day and bust my butt to get them back in a couple of hours before dusk...or what...not sure how to handle this!
My oldest, the buffs, have sorta took over the mothering for the others, maybe that could help??

Ever since my oldest (my baby girl) was killed a couple weeks ago, I have been dead set on not letting my other babies out of their run. I have 2 buffs that are about 12 weeks, who were used to foraging with my older one, and I also have 2 that are almost 8 weeks, and 5 that are right at 5 weeks. I would like for them to be out in the yard, I used to let them out when I was outside, which if I'm home is always! I guess because they are sometimes hard to round up, and since my Ginny got killed I am a nervous wreck to even let them out. I know that is not fair to them but I guess my anxiety and depression over losing my other baby has really got me scared. Do yall think I should let them out for a few hours a day and bust my butt to get them back in a couple of hours before dusk...or what...not sure how to handle this!
My oldest, the buffs, have sorta took over the mothering for the others, maybe that could help??

I had a close call today with 2 raccoons hovering the in the trees over my yard eyeing my free ranging chickens...... fortunately, the neighbors saw them. One was shot and killed, the other escaped. All in the middle of suburbia, I should add. Anyway, I understand your concerns completely. I can't tell you what to do but I'll tell you where my thought process is in a similar situation.

1. I'm looking at electricity options-both along the top of my fence as well as electrifying poultry netting in my actual yard.
2. I won't be doing unsupervised free ranging. It will only be when I can sit out there with them.

That's as far as I've gotten. I'll let you know if I employ any of these options...

Good luck, I'm sorry you lost Ginny :( I'm sure that was very difficult.

Quote: Thank you, atleast i dont feel so over protective now....thank you...the loss of Ginny absolutely broke my heart since I rescued her and nursed her back to health. She was my sidekick...now i don't have one, and I'm really hoping one of my others will grow to be like that!
I had thought about building a large enclosed large yard for them, but i'm not sure its possible here,,,ugh, I actually have a great range yard, lots of leaves and places for them to go, but I have to see them. or at least hear them, i'm also not sure about my smaller ones, maybe just the 4 older ones for now!..it was dusk when my Ginny got taken. So i would put them in way before that! Unfortunately I have severe anxiety problems, but they shouldn't pay for that... maybe ill try them one day this week when i'm home early.
smile.png

I would take a couple of days to teach them to come when called. Bring out bread, sunflower seeds or something. They learn it super quick. My entire flock will run/fly across the yard when I call them and it's easy to get them back in their coop quick.

We haven't had any problems with predators besides one chick disappearing when it was out.
Quote: Yeah I trained my first 14 as chicks and called them every time I brought them food, now they run to the gate every time they see me. My younger 22 now follow the older ones.

Training chickens to come when called is super easy, way easier than dogs or kids.. if you've got either of those
1f60a.png

You can designate a can and put treats in it and shake it while calling a preferred phrase like "chick chick chick" or "here Chickie Chickies" and then throw a small amount of the treat out around you. It's only ever taken me a couple times for them to learn well enough to come to the call, or shaking of the can alone. Once they know it, when you're ready to put them up, go into the coop, call them, give treat and close door.
It is natural instinct for a rooster to "Tid bit" for the girls, a "chirp chirp chirp" when there's yummy stuff to be found, and instinct for your birds to come to a call. Best wishes. You can also use calling to round them up while free ranging to keep them together and near you. Just be cautious to not give to large of a treat each time while training. Treats should not make up more than 10% of daily nutrition. You can mix 1/2 chicken scratch and 1/2 their normal starter or grower and use that in your can, and toss just a small amount by hard each call. Once they're older and come when called routinely, you don't have to actually give a treat every time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom