Scared to let my first flock out!

I’ve been taking mine outside for 2-4 hours per day to let them roam free! They are never too far from me, and they always are together. They’ve been eating all the bugs, and know to hide and protect themselves. They are insanely smart but I am not ever more than a few feet away from them at all times! They Love being outside! I just worry about the day when they CAN be totally alone, when they are older, I worry about their safety when I’m not there and they are out...

A fenced yard helps a lot, it isn't foolproof but it keeps casual predators from wandering in (i.e. dogs).

A rooster would also be good-- their job is watching for predators and warning their harem. If you have a small flock (under 8) you can't get a full sized rooster but you could get a bantam roo, they aren't rapey and are fine with very small flocks. They are also amazingly beautiful entertaining little guys. I have two OEG bantam roosters with my flock of 7 girls (and there are lots of roosters desperate for good homes).

A fenced yard helps a lot, it isn't foolproof but it keeps casual predators from wandering in (i.e. dogs).

A rooster would also be good-- their job is watching for predators and warning their harem. If you have a small flock (under 8) you can't get a full sized rooster but you could get a bantam roo, they aren't rapey and are fine with very small flocks. They are also amazingly beautiful entertaining little guys. I have two OEG bantam roosters with my flock of 7 girls (and there are lots of roosters desperate for good homes).
We have 6 ISA browns right now, but in the spring I’ll get some more... still recommend the Bantam Rooster for that size flock?

Free range equals (predator) losses. I was in denial of this until I lost 2 birds recently to a fox.

I free ranged my birds, from dawn till dusk, for 8 months with zero problems, then BAM !

The foxes found them.

Both losses were during the daylight hours. I live basically in the middle of nowhere ..... Heavily wooded, very rural. We have fox, yotes, coons, a few bears, and recently mountain lions predating this area. My closest neighbor is about 3/4 mile away. I figured I would have problems sooner or later.

Everything likes chicken !

Do I still free range ? Yes, but under more supervised conditions, and only for 3 or 4 hours a day, and only when me or the dogs are home, and out and about my ground.

I'm also in the process of erecting a 5' fence around a large area around the coop/run. This fence will be electrified for (relatively) worry free ranging.

It's a trade off, but I am willing to take the chance, as the ladies are MUCH happier out doing chicken things around the property, as opposed to being penned up all day.

Good luck !

Free range equals (predator) losses. I was in denial of this until I lost 2 birds recently to a fox.

I free ranged my birds, from dawn till dusk, for 8 months with zero problems, then BAM !

The foxes found them.

Both losses were during the daylight hours. I live basically in the middle of nowhere ..... Heavily wooded, very rural. We have fox, yotes, coons, a few bears, and recently mountain lions predating this area. My closest neighbor is about 3/4 mile away. I figured I would have problems sooner or later.

Everything likes chicken !

Do I still free range ? Yes, but under more supervised conditions, and only for 3 or 4 hours a day, and only when me or the dogs are home, and out and about my ground.

I'm also in the process of erecting a 5' fence around a large area around the coop/run. This fence will be electrified for (relatively) worry free ranging.

It's a trade off, but I am willing to take the chance, as the ladies are MUCH happier out doing chicken things around the property, as opposed to being penned up all day.

Good luck !
UGH! Sorry to hear you had some nasty fox attacks :( I think more and more what I’m hearing from everyone here is just allowing the birds out for a few hours when people are around the house or close enough to be able to hear if something was happening. Luckily, I work from home most of the time, so have flexibility to be able to hangout close to them, so I’m thinking I’ll only let them out for a few hours a day once they’re old enough to be out in the coop and run.

I don’t want to risk any attacks, these are pets, not food! And they have become my family! I’d rather have them be safe! But of course they will get plenty of running around time around the yard. Perhaps an electric fence around the back near the coop would be a good investment in the future, if and when we add more members to the flock!

We have 6 ISA browns right now, but in the spring I’ll get some more... still recommend the Bantam Rooster for that size flock?

You could get a standard cockerel with next springs chicks.

When it comes to electric fencing remember young birds (1.5 years and under) will easily fly right over it. It may work well for large heavy layers that don't really fly but not for the younguns.

You could get a standard cockerel with next springs chicks.

When it comes to electric fencing remember young birds (1.5 years and under) will easily fly right over it. It may work well for large heavy layers that don't really fly but not for the younguns.
Yes! Thank you so very much! Great info!!

when people are around the house or close enough to be able to hear if something was happening.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I was home for both attacks. Don't assume you will be able to stop anything from just hearing the commotion.

You might have an advantage if you have a yard, or clear sight of the birds. I don't have this luxury, as my woods come almost right up to the house, and my visibility is poor at best.

The first loss, I had no idea something was amiss till bed time ..... One short.

The second, I was in the garden, about 100 feet from the birds, who were in thick cover, and both the dogs and I heard the attack. Immediately the dogs went in, but it was too late.

I found feathers, but never recovered the body. The fox was in and out in seconds.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I was home for both attacks. Don't assume you will be able to stop anything from just hearing the commotion.

You might have an advantage if you have a yard, or clear sight of the birds. I don't have this luxury, as my woods come almost right up to the house, and my visibility is poor at best.

The first loss, I had no idea something was amiss till bed time ..... One short.

The second, I was in the garden, about 100 feet from the birds, who were in thick cover, and both the dogs and I heard the attack. Immediately the dogs went in, but it was too late.

I found feathers, but never recovered the body. The fox was in and out in seconds.
:( poor feather babies! I guess we do best we can to keep them safe, but we can’t always protect them! I’ll do everything I can to ensure their safety! We are surrounded by light woods, and can see our neighbors on all sides through a narrow patch of woods. And we are a few blocks from downtown area, so I would imagine the larger predators would be around, but who knows!

My only suggestion to free ranging is making sure they have access to free fresh water in various locations and make sure chick grit is available.
Once they start eating the outside world stuff, they will need Grit available.
I made it a habit to check their crops at night once on the roost but, before I lock the door. Then, once again in the morning to verify it is empty. I'm more of a preventative maintenance type of person.
But, I agree too young to be exploring yet.
Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom