Scaredy Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TerriB90, Jun 28, 2016.

1. TerriB90

TerriB90 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    I've had my two runner ducks since 4wks old, and kept them inside with me until they were about 8 weeks old.
    They would follow me around, cry if i left the room, feed from my hand and cuddle to sleep as babies.
    Now they are in their big duck cage outside with my 3 chickens they are so timid.. they panic when i go in the cage and i have to walk very slowly and squat down to calm them, but they will not come to me anymore :(
    I feed them every day so have daily interaction with them some days i will sit with them for half an hour trying to get them used to me but its not working.. any ideas? TIA [​IMG]

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    You could try feeding them by hand, food seems to be the easiest way to a duck's heart. If they are too scared at first them maybe just sit near them while they eat and slowly move closer until they are comfortable eating out of a container you're holding, then try putting some food in your hand. My ducks went through a period of being terrified of me, but now they always think I have food so they come running when they see me and urgently nibble at my hands for snacks lol.

Also Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I agree. Try a treat that you know they love. That way they will be a little more inclined to come closer. My ducks love mealworms and peas.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Many ducklings go through a rapid change from friendly to fearful. At three weeks, my Runners went into a phase in which they acted as if I were an axe murderer. Heartbreaking.

BYC folks helped me understand this, and said to do much of what you are already doing - don't sneak up on them, talk sweetly, move gently. Offer treats but don't expect them to come close. Spend time near them. Don't loom over them, try not to corner them.

I changed some of my behaviors, and hung in there, and after a few months they were once again friendly, very relaxed. I have a few huggers, no one likes being picked up. But a great, friendly little flock.

5. TerriB90

TerriB90 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    Great thank you so much guys! Like you said Amiga it is heart breaking having them so scared of me especially when they used to love me so much! I will try the meal worms and feeding from a small container and just give them more time.. Thanks again for all your help

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by