Scariest moment yet..... hawks!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mamachicken888, Sep 27, 2011.

1. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    It is mid-day here in Oklahoma. We were sitting in our lawn chairs watching our flock of 21 and we suddenly realized they were ALL herded underneath one of their little tykes toys we put in their run to entertain them. We looked at each other and then looked up and I'm not kidding you - there were at least 6 huge hawks circling and coming in low. Needless to say, we went into bat-crazy mode and I grabbed up a lawn rake and started swinging it like a lunatic and my hub went to get the flock into the coop. The hawks left, and we have the flock safely into the coop. Our run is completely covered on the top with the soft plastic garden fencing that looks like chicken wire but isn't. If those hawks came after the chicks, they'd have to come through that first, but now we are not sure they couldn't.

What in the world do you do to protect from hawks? We don't own a gun, but we're thinking about it. Besides, I think they're (hawks) protected.

I'm still upset as I type this. They were coming in for the kill.

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hawk are a protected species in the US though just keep watch and protect your chickens

3. birdmomma

birdmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Loveland, OH
    We had scary hawk attacks this week too - the only thing I can advise is to not let them free-range unattended (though you both were right there and the hawks were checking the chicks out) I'll be interested to hear what the more experienced have to say on this matter as well - my girls are mad cause I won't let them out freely like I was....

At least your run is covered - I wouldn't think that hawks will rip through netting like that to get to your girls?

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Oh shoot, I wish I could have seen the melee....
    We had a hawk scare here and my DH had to inform me that hawks are protected. I looked it up and the fine can run up to $15,000 and include 6 months in jail...
    I still keep a gun with me when I free range the gang. I would definately shoot a warning shot.

5. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Having places for them to 'escape' into is good. Strategically placed covered sites give them a place to hide. Also, using CD's hung around on strings is supposed to help chase away aerial predators.

6. Malita

Malita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    McKinney, TX
    Hawks consistently hunt our girls but we keep them locked up during prime hawk hunting time (later afternoon) but lately the hawks have been out all day. So, I will often find all of the girls in the garage under the truck squawking about the hawk. Then I'll find the hawk in the tree at the end of the driveway and I just walk over and he flies off. The hawk can't hang around long as the blue jays will not tolerate him and gang up quickly. We are considering expanding our completely enclosed run for days the girls must remain on lockdown though.

7. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Well, I wouldn't think they could get through that plastic fencing very easily. They might be able to cut it with their beaks... I don't know. Here's what our run looks like on top:

[​IMG]

8. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Quote:I have to tell you Chicki - what DH said. He said he would definitely shoot a warning shot - right through their little head. [​IMG] He's a little upset too.

9. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:I have to tell you Chicki - what DH said. He said he would definitely shoot a warning shot - right through their little head. [​IMG] He's a little upset too.

Hahahaha... Actually me and DH have discussed this alot. If there is a hawk down and I grab it and throw it in the car and drive it far, far away that is where they would find it if it is chipped, right..[​IMG]

10. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Oh! Good idea! Never thought about them being chipped!

We are headed to Wally World to get a 22 now. DH ain't playin'!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by