School help? Chicken science project?

whattheshell

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Portland,oregon
Hi. Im currently taking an animal science class. I need some help. My partner and I have to do a project about something like "animal systems". We were thinking since I have a bunch of chickens, my little buddies could be included. Could any of you help us come up with ideas on what to do? something with the chickens that we could maybe get some data on?

-She thought about moving a few chickens in a smaller area and another in a larger separate area and seeing what happens. But wouldn't that mess with the pecking order?

-Cant free range because too many predators out here.

-Thought about putting in a light to see if they will lay more since the egg production has been down. Mom doesnt want us to do that though, "god made them not lay for a reason" haha.

-Mom doesnt want to change their feed also. Although she just did a few days ago. So im thinking maybe just seeing how they react to this new feed. So far, from what i have written down they have been laying more. Maybe because of the protein. Or I could try feeding them a different snack. One of my friends is doing hazelnuts.

Anywho any ideas? or do you think mine would be fine (seeing if they will continue to lay more on this new feed)

Not sure if this fits with the animal systems theme but here goes...

What if you tried to teach a couple of your chickens to get a reward for doing a specific activity? Something along the lines of if they ring a bell a treat is dispensed. Or if they learned how to get through a maze, they would find a treat at the end. The idea being, can chickens be trained to work for a reward.

When I was a kid (yeah it was a long time ago) the county fair used to showcase a chicken that would peck a few keys on a kid's piano and once the chicken hit a certain number of piano keys, a treat (feed in this case) was fed to them. The fair billed it as the amazing piano playing chicken, lol.

Use your imagination and have fun. And let us know what you come up with.

Haha thank you. Sounds fun. I Show pigs at my county fair and i taught him to lay down when i pet him in a spot on his back and that if he sees the whip (with out touching) he is to move. Haha . It was pretty cool since i didnt have to touch him like my friends did with their hogs. Its amazing what a little training can do.
:~) thanks again!

You're very welcome, and thanks for reminding me of the amazing piano playing chicken (for some reason, that isn't something that I think of every day, lol).

I like the way you trained your pig and you're right, a little training can go a long way. I believe animals are generally smarter than people often give them credit for.

I really want to hear what you come up with and just have to say, that member name of yours is brilliant!

My daughter did a project to see if chicks preferred certain colors of feed containers over another. There was enough of a difference to conclude that "maybe" they like red better. It was pretty basic, but maybe good for an idea?

aw shes cute. Thank you!
haha i heard that chickens are more attracted to red. That's why a lot of people separate chickens with a wound so the others don't peck and make it worse. Maybe thats why they chose the red container
big_smile.png
haha thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom