School project.

Khaki Campbells or Welsh Harlequins. Both are lighter weight but still big enough to eat, and both lay lots of eggs. Those are my picks for pure breeds.

The hatcheries also have commercial non-purebred lines that are even better layers, but they are not heritage breeds and wouldn't sell for as much if you chose to sell stock as well as eggs and meat. But it's a good idea to look at hatchery websites to see what they have and their descriptions can be informative.

Anconas? They seem to weigh a bit more than the Campbells and Harlequins. My girls lay an egg a day, every day, except for about 2 months in winter.

Make sure you look into where you get the ducks. Some Welsh harlequin stock lay lots of eggs, while others are ok. I haven't found my welsh to lay a ton of eggs. A good example of this is there is show quality rouen, which are enormous! They make Pekins look slim. Then are I think it is called production rouen which are lighter weight and lay more eggs. Depending on the breeder, you can get ducks that produce more or less eggs. So just keep that in mind once you settle on a breed.

Make sure you look into where you get the ducks. Some Welsh harlequin stock lay lots of eggs, while others are ok. I haven't found my welsh to lay a ton of eggs. A good example of this is there is show quality rouen, which are enormous! They make Pekins look slim. Then are I think it is called production rouen which are lighter weight and lay more eggs. Depending on the breeder, you can get ducks that produce more or less eggs. So just keep that in mind once you settle on a breed.
I have settled on buff ducks. I hadn't really thought about sourcing them. good point.

I know you've settled on buff but i wanted to share my ducks. They are all a runner cross Cayuga or runner cross appleyard. Large ducks with good meat on them. The oldest duck (appleyard) that was able to lay laid 2 clutches of 20 eggs, sat on one of them and after the ducklings were 3 or so weeks started to lay again. She also laid in between that I collected. Creates gorgeous colours as a bonus.

Good luck on your project

Back
Top Bottom