science fair project

Georgeesmom

Hatching
11 Years
May 10, 2008
I would like to know if anyone's middle school age child has done a science fair project involving their chickens.
My child has to do a science fair project and thought it might be fun to do an experiement with them, such as what is their favorite food or color of food etc. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

what is the project supposed to be about?..as in..what were the teachers requirements?..Wendy:)

Last year(4th gr) my son put chicken poo in some dirt in a bowl, soaked it down with water and let sit for 2 wks. After 2 wks he put regular dirt in another bowl added grass seed to both and watered them. After 4-5 days you will start to see results of the test, once the grass sprouts it will take off in the chicken poo bowl. It makes the other grass look sick or something. Your child can get more technical with it if he/she wanted to, it's a very expandable project, doesn't have to have only grass seed and they can get more technical with the hypothesis also. We just kept it simple because my son has a problem with comprehension as he is ADHD/Dyslexic.

"Layne's Hypothesis: I think grass grows better when chicken poo is added to the dirt as a fertillizer I base my hypothesis on these two facts:

1: Chicken poo makes soil healthier by adding nutrients like phosphorus and nitrogen.

2: The grass is growing thick and green in my chicken coop."

The latter(#2) was before the chicks were old enough to destroy/eat the grass. We seeded a section of the run and closed it off for a few weeks in April. It was a beautiful covering for a while and still wasn't too bad until we went for a long time without rain(too far back for the hose to water it). The chicks kept it nicely trimmed til it dried up.

Back
Top Bottom